KevO

Dobyns Champion 704 Cb Rod

I'm buying a setup to fish smaller cranks like bandit 100-300, DT6, Spro lil johns etc around sparse cover (rocks, stumps).  I can't decide if I should get the composite or glass rod.  I've never owned a glass rod but I used my buddies once and liked how well it threw the baits.  It's also $20 cheaper.  I plan on pairing it with a Chronarch 50mg I have on another rod and buying a new chronarch 50 or ci4.  Should be a sweet little setup.. What do you guys think?

You would probably be happier with the 705 for spro little john, dt6, etc siZe baits which are around 3/8-1/2oz. You will be able to more than adequetly throq bandit 100s /w the 705 and a 50mg. The 705 will handle the lower end of the baits you want better than the 704 will handle the upper end of the baits you want if that makes sense. As for glass vs graphite in the dobyns line up, if you ask 50 people which one you will probably get half like one and half the other. Ive read as much as i possible could find on both and you will find all mixed answers. I prefer the 705cb glass i just got.

I prefer the 705cb glass i just got.

I got the same rod a few months ago.  I am absolutely dying to try it out.  I haven't even got to use it yet but I can already tell I'm going to love it.  I prefer glass with cranking so that was my decision to that way. Some guys like graphite and in todays rods I think both will serve you just fine.  Glass is a bit more forgiving especially if you fish like me with hard hooksets. I'm not much of a "finesse" guy.

• Like 1

I prefer glass over graphite also like what mark said I have a "hook set" when cranking lol

Tight lines

Andrew

The reason I want the 704 is because I already have a 7' MHM crucial crankbait rod for throwing bigger square bills like LC's and deeper cranks like dt10's.  It overpowers the smaller baits like the lil john and bandits, which I why I want the medium.  If you think the 705 will be able to handle all of that I'll take your advice.

The 705 is a very well rounded rod. If you want some strictly for 1/4 size cranks the 704 would be ideal. Its a pretty whippy rod

Ok thanks