Sign in to follow this  
Duckbutter100

What Exactly Is The Benefit Of Using A Crimped Swivel Weight For A Drop Shot.

Why couldn't you just tie the weight to the end of the drop line. I trying to figure out what the benefit is in using the crimp style swivel(I guess that is what its called) and didn't know why tying on a regular circular swivel weight would be an issue.

Its fast to attach and the weight tends to break off instead of the whole rig when it gets hung up.

The reason is to allow the weight to pull off without breaking the line at the hook knot, when snagged. The swivel action allows the weight to roll without twisting your line. You can achieve the same easy off and free to roll by using round split shot to hold a bullet or cylinder weight on the line, above and below the weight. The crimped swivel is a lot easier to rig.

Tom

Also, it makes it easy to change weights based on changing conditions or depths. With a crimp style weight I can't change weights in a matter of seconds, where as with a weight that's tied on I have to cut it off and retie it, which doesn't take a LONG time, but it's significantly longer than using the crimp style.Also, when doing so, every time you tie a new weight on you end up shortening you leader.

Mainly for fishing rocks where the sinker gets hung.

I fish more wood and tie a regular bell sinker on. When I get hung its always the hook in wood.

What about a large or 2 large slip shots? Wouldn't that have the same affect as the crimp minus the easy re-attaching?

The main reason Im asking is because they are hard to find locally.

I use larger split-shot weights when I dropshot shallow water (10ft or less) from shore, they work well for me and are pretty cheap.