Sign in to follow this  
Alonerankin2

X Ship On Baitcasters?

Is this new gearing going to be as powerful as HEG ? I have a mixed bag of opinions all on calcutta D series . Seems many say the raw power that the TE series reels had, has been lost these are big fish guys... Musky.. Stripers and also saltwater guys. So who can speak for this? Not all change in design is successful . Shimano is making a lot of change quickly. I know that this engineering has been in the Jdm market and some folks in USA have used it, have you used this xship on baitcast ? Is it as powerful? I am not asking about smoothness, but true torque and power. Anyone?

X-Ship is basically just a second bearing on the pinion gear to better hold the pinion in alignment with the spool shaft and the drive gear.  There's nothing there that creates "power" that I know of.  "Power" (mechanical advantage) is a combination of the relationship of the sizes of the drive gear to the pinion gear...and the length of the lever (handle) where force is applied to rotate the gears and subsequently the spool.  I'll let the physics majors out there take it from here... :lol:

I'm not sure about the new gearing in terms of durability and such, because I still have older Shimanos, but it's my understanding that HEG is still in all of their mid to mid-high grade reels. X-ship is the new support system for the gearing, so it works in conjunction with the gearing system. The new gearing system that I am aware of is "micro module," which replaces HEG on the higher end Shimano reels, like the Metanium and Antares.

Yes... A extra bearing in support of the pinion would indicate to me that more Torque is going to be available..thanks for clarifying that... It's crystal clear to me now.. If the fresh/ light salt reels continue with large gear sets then shouldn't be a issue.... But nevertheless like I said.... Many people say the power and torque has diminished...I would interested in hearing from folks who have on the water experience

I own a Calcutta D400.   This is an awesome reel.   I can crank large musky baits all day with this.   With an 8' H/F rod, I can cast it a mile.

Yes... A extra bearing in support of the pinion would indicate to me that more Torque is going to be available..thanks for clarifying that... It's crystal clear to me now.. If the fresh/ light salt reels continue with large gear sets then shouldn't be a issue.... But nevertheless like I said.... Many people say the power and torque has diminished...I would interested in hearing from folks who have on the water experience

Torque has nothing to do with the extra bearing there. It just allows the gears to stay in precise alignment while reeling, even if a lot of force it being put on it. Torque has only to do with the handle length and the amount of pressure the person winding is putting on the handle (in the circular motion). 

Is this new gearing going to be as powerful as HEG ? I have a mixed bag of opinions all on calcutta D series . Seems many say the raw power that the TE series reels had, has been lost these are big fish guys... Musky.. Stripers and also saltwater guys. So who can speak for this? Not all change in design is successful . Shimano is making a lot of change quickly. I know that this engineering has been in the Jdm market and some folks in USA have used it, have you used this xship on baitcast ? Is it as powerful? I am not asking about smoothness, but true torque and power. Anyone?

HEG is still in the reels. HEG is just precison cut gears + larger drive gear.

The claim of more power is just a sales gimmick. Power can not be gained from adding another bearing to the pinion gear. That has solely to do with the handle length and the person using the reel. It does allow for more power more though. There was a video of someone reeling in a car on YT with a spinning reel without x-ship vs spinning reel with x-ship, and the reel w/out x-ship started making noises and grinding, but the reel with x-ship could handle the pressure because the pinion was kept in alignment.

I'm not sure about the new gearing in terms of durability and such, because I still have older Shimanos, but it's my understanding that HEG is still in all of their mid to mid-high grade reels. X-ship is the new support system for the gearing, so it works in conjunction with the gearing system. The new gearing system that I am aware of is "micro module," which replaces HEG on the higher end Shimano reels, like the Metanium and Antares.

Micro module concerns me because I read somewhere that in RC cars/trucks, the gears with more, smaller teeth tend to break more than gears with less, larger teeth. MM will be smoother, but I am concerned when it comes to longevity. MM gears would probably strip very easily..

Micro module concerns me because I read somewhere that in RC cars/trucks, the gears with more, smaller teeth tend to break more than gears with less, larger teeth. MM will be smoother, but I am concerned when it comes to longevity. MM gears would probably strip very easily..

I can see that, but in general most RC cars/trucks have ABS or Polycarbonate gears (some even carbon fiber), not brass like fishing reels, unless you buy a separate gear upgrade kit. It will be interesting to see where this new MM gearing goes like you said, "in terms of longevity." 

The X-ship design will definitely increase the power out to power in ratio. it accomplishes this by reducing energy loss in the mechanical system(supporting the pinion gear with bearings). it helps in two ways it decreases friction through the bearings, but also in keeps the gears properly aligned better under heavier loads over the conventional set up. The micro gearing is a very interesting concept, to maintain durability and reliability they either must increase the quality of the material, either aluminum or some kind of titanium alloy or other very hard alloy or they must increase the surface area or the width of the gearing as compared to standard gears. I think it is a great concept and am excited to give it a try. 

Mitch

Also keep in mind, you can move a fish a lot easier with the rod than any reel. You also have a drag to protect the whole train. Stripped gears isn't anything to worry about.

Also keep in mind, you can move a fish a lot easier with the rod than any reel. You also have a drag to protect the whole train. Stripped gears isn't anything to worry about.

X2:Victory: