Duckbutter100

Guys Who Use Leaders Or Swivels With Leaders.

Im a little confused about using leaders. 

What I was wondering is do you ever bring the knot or swivels thru the guides before casting? I understand using a 1-2' leader since I have no problem casting with the lure hanging 1-2' from the top guide that far but how do the guys who use say a 10' leader deal with a knot on the spool then going go thru the guides during the cast? Are the knots smooth enough where it has no affect on the cast? I've never seen anyone fish with a leader that wasn't tied to a swivel and was only about a foot long.

What am I missing here. 

I only use a knot to connect my leaders. The Alberto knot, it's small and passes through "regular" guides with no ill effects just fine. I tie my leaders just long enought so that when the bait is at the tip of the rod, the knot is just outside the reel, I don't like the knot on the reel, and IMHO a 4'-5' leader is plenty long enough in bass fishing. However...I did not like it (the alberto knot) going through micro guides at all, so I sold my rods with micro guides. It's not a good idea to reel a swivel through the guides, for many reasons, #1 being that it will wreck the guides...metal swivel vs. guide insert............swivel wins every time.

I often bring my knot through the guides, but never a swivel or anything metallic.  In addition, my leaders are no more than six feet long, so the knot never gets spooled onto the reel.

Whatever you do is purely a personal preference and there is no right or wrong way.  I use swivels and leaders about 99% of the time.  Only exception are fish that will attack a swivel as quickly as lure like spanish mackerel, but most people on here never fish for them.  My swivel size will vary depending on the diameter of the rod tip guide, don't want swivel going thru or getting stuck.  Leader length on average will be about 20".

Thanks for the info. I def want to try using Flouro leader this year for smallies. Im just surprised the knot flows fine thru the guides. I will give it a try.