Sign in to follow this  
GrundleLove

Topwater Reccomendations?

I do a lot of pond fishing here in MA and weeds are ALWAYS a problem. A good spot that i go to has lilly pads for half an acre but really good bass, I would go out there with my toad/mouse lures and bass would fight for it. But during the end of the 2010 season i lost a few to the weeds while reeling them in ( wont happen this year I hope with my new setup) but I am looking to replace my lost lures with something good that is similar.

Do you know of any top water weedless set ups that would straight KILL bass? Price is no object.

Cheap and effective: http://www.***.com/Scum_Frog_Popper/descpage-SCMFPOP.html

Weedless Spook type Lure: http://www.***.com/Snag_Proof_Weed_Demon/descpage-SPWDD.html

Expendables: http://www.***.com/Stanley_Floating_Ribbit_5pk/descpage-SRF.html

If you get the Strike King Elaztech 3X stuff, be sure not to mix them up with other types of plastics as it results in a nasty chemical reaction.

Hidden

If fishing from shore I would use braided line and weedless Fluke. Cheap if you lose it and you can huck it pretty far. Ive found the frogs with flapping legs dont cast too far.

Use a 4/0 EWG and rig it so the hook is in the pocket. You will miss some hooksets but it is very weedless.

Shown is a 3/0 hook as 4/0 are in the boat and too cold to go outside to get one :(

Picture2593.jpg

....Bill

Cheap and effective: http://www.***.com/Scum_Frog_Popper/descpage-SCMFPOP.html

Weedless Spook type Lure: http://www.***.com/Snag_Proof_Weed_Demon/descpage-SPWDD.html

Expendables: http://www.***.com/Stanley_Floating_Ribbit_5pk/descpage-SRF.html

If you get the Strike King Elaztech 3X stuff, be sure not to mix them up with other types of plastics as it results in a nasty chemical reaction.

I had one of those weed demons, and they're great if you have some large fish in the water you're fishing. You can cast it extremely far due to the weight, and it lands with a very loud splash. I wish they made one a bit lighter.

Frogs, frogs - hollow body - weed demons - almost any toad, horny, ribbit, etc. - another good choice is a Gambler flappin shad with the tail slit - braided line, hang on.

Awesome thanks guys. I've got a spinner that i could toss some braided on, but is there anything specific i should worry about when doing so? Like, do you use a flouro leader when you use braided in weeds or just tie it on? If so what is a good knot for braided that is quick?

You can just tie it on direct, and a palomar knot should work.

If you're gonna be fishing lily pads and slop, I really doubt fish will notice braid and get spooked that easily.

Heck, I caught a chunky smallie on crystal clear Lake St. Clair this year while on open water on a spinnerbait tied directly to braid.

You can just tie it on direct, and a palomar knot should work.

If you're gonna be fishing lily pads and slop, I really doubt fish will notice braid and get spooked that easily.

Heck, I caught a chunky smallie on crystal clear Lake St. Clair this year while on open water on a spinnerbait tied directly to braid.

Cool thanks man. I always use a double palomar anyway just to be sure. I saw this nice braided 50lb line but it was bright yellow? stay away or should it not even matter?

I'd say go with moss green. Let's not push our luck with braid visibility now...  :(

Rage Shad (4/0) or Toad (5/0).

Beat me to it!

I'd say go with moss green. Let's not push our luck with braid visibility now... :(

From the perspective of the bass... hold both a yellow line and a dark green line above your head with the bright sky as background.  I'll bet you find the yellow line harder to see.

steve

If visibility to the bass was really the problem....  Hold 65lb test and 50lb test braid up above you on a sunny day.  Which casts the boldest shadow??? 

Does a 10lb bag of flower make a really big biscuit?

I dont think line conspicuity (diameter, color, or type) has ever really been an issue when fishing topwater, atleast in my experiance it hasnt.

I must say my best frog lure has been a snag proof original frog...... not the one with the skirts, the one with the realistic looking legs.  The little BB in the back made it "sit up" in the water..... yet the air in the body let you stop and pause without any sinkage. 

Another pond favorite of mine while i lived in NY was the meadow mouse by heddon (no idea why they stopped making these) but weeds became a problem.  They then had a zara mouse..... same body as a meadow mouse but one single weedless hook and no plate on front.  That thing could go through any cover but could also walk the dog with it. 

Wish they still made both those lures, stocked up on meadow mice for my dad on ebay years back, but have not seen a zara mouse in forever. 

If you looking to make some commotion on the surface, the weedless jitterbug is always an option.