Sign in to follow this  
wisconsin heat

how can i take the rattle out of my lipless crank?

the waters i fish are almost always pretty clear, so the lipless crank's rattles are a big turnoff... i cant get a fish on one, though ive tried many times... i figure if they dont rattle, then i can get a compact, subtle, power-finesse hardbait, that can cast a mile. so how can i accomplish this?

thanks in advance ;D

I don't think the rattles and clearer water have too much to do with not catching fish.

you dont want to take the rattles out, they are the weight. instead, drill a small hole right in front of the line tie, hold the bait perfectly level side to side, in a slightly nose down position, then squirt several drops of super glue into the hole you drilled. allow to dry before moving bait. then glue the hole in the top closed.

I do what fourbizz said but I use an epoxy to fill the hole. I use Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy. Use the 30 minute formula. The 5 min is not waterproof and will eventually allow water in. Sometimes I drill the hole on top and sometimes the bottom depending on the bait.

The question is, are the rattles a turnoff to you or the fish?  I doubt it really makes any difference, just give you something to do until the ice thaws.  I would just use another bait.

It is a very easy solution and is reversible. Drill a small hole in the top, toothpick size, then using a syringe fill the bait with mineral oil. After putting in the mineral oil use a toothpick with super glue to seal the hole. Cut the toothpick flush and apply a little fingernail polish. To reverse this just drill out the toothpick, flush the bait with alcohol and reseal. The oil will self level so it won't upset the balance.

It is a very easy solution and is reversible. Drill a small hole in the top, toothpick size, then using a syringe fill the bait with mineral oil. After putting in the mineral oil use a toothpick with super glue to seal the hole. Cut the toothpick flush and apply a little fingernail polish. To reverse this just drill out the toothpick, flush the bait with alcohol and reseal. The oil will self level so it won't upset the balance.

An amazing bit of info there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the doubters....it does make a difference, and when it does, its huge.  I'll leave it at that.

Nice tip whittler.