Sign in to follow this  
trickwormmaster

Need Suggestions For A Rod

I'm looking to get a new combo and really have my heart set on the daiwa tatula but might wait a little while and hope it goes on sale somewhere for $100. I'm looking for a rod to go with it, and I'm thinking a 6'6"-7" MH rod for frogs, heavy jigs, etc. so far I've seen the carbonlite on sale for $75 (with a rod trade in) during the BPS spring fishing classic. other than that I'm really looking for suggestions on a quality rod thats around or below $100.

I have zero experience with any Powell rod, but TW has a Diesel 7'6" MH XF on sale for $59.88.  A bit longer than you were thinking, but within your price range.  The Diesel 7'2" MH XF may be more to your liking, but it is $20.11 more, and has a narrower lure range.  I'd also look at the Daiwa Procyon line-up.  After talking with a friend, I bought a spinning model for a brother-in-law. who strictly fishes for bass.  The Veritas is on sale at a couple Online stores.  I found a 7' MH for $10 less than their sale price on fleabay, but didn't pay attention to possible shipping costs from either place.  Could have bought the Procyon cheaper on fleabay, but shipping made it more expensive than buying from TW.

I don't know what size frogs you will be throwing, but if those "heavy jigs" are very heavy, you might want to consider going to a Heavy rod.

EDIT:  Welcome to the forum.

Talk to Ron at Valley Sports, he can probably get you pretty close to your budget on a Tatula combo.

If this is to be a frog specific rod, there's really no need to spend a lot. Go with a H or MH with an extra fast tip if you don't need to walk the frog or if you want to walk the frog, I suggest and MH with a fast tip. Since this is a visible and not a feel bite, there's no need to break the bank. I've said it before, the reel is more important in frog slop fishing than the rod. Go with a reel that has the most drag you can get (see abu or lews tourney MG) and a high gear ratio.

Other than the Carbonlight and crank rods, BPS rods don't get much love here but believe me when I tell you the JM Sig Series rod is a very good stick. A little heavier than a CL but strong as heck.

For what you're looking for, and with the spring sale and trade in special starting up, take a look.

I think you'll be surprised.

Mike

I'd take a look at the St. Croix Mojo Bass Frog N Slop Rod. It's a 7' H/F. It's got a ton of power and has the sensitivity you want when fishing your big jig!

Take a look at Denali rods. The Jadewood series is right in your budget. Best bang for your buck hands down.

*** *** Black

X2 makes me wonder why I even own my loomis rods anymore for the price they can't be beat

i think I'm going with the *** *** black. it got fantastic reviews on every site i checked i just need to wait for a good sale somewhere

Talk to Ron at Valley Sports, he can probably get you pretty close to your budget on a Tatula combo.

X2. He got me a great deal on four of the Tatula rods.