Sign in to follow this  
Missourifishin

Questions About My New Lews Reel.

My Lews Tournament Speed Spool (TS1H) arrived today. This is my second baitcaster. First one is an H2O Mettle. So I have some questions.

1. My main question is about the brakes. It has a dual braking system. A. How should I adjust the internal brake? It looks quite a bit different than my other baitcaster. B. What number would you advise me to set the external brake at? Keep in mind that I'm still basically a beginner.

2. I'm wondering about the warranty. I got it on ebay, but it's brand new. Does their warranty cover reels sold on ebay? And if so, do I just write "ebay" on the warranty card on the line for the location where you purchased it? Also, is this a lifetime warranty? Their website didn't say anything about it being covered for a certain number of years.

I have the same reel and I love it, it's been my workhorse reel for almost 2 years now and it's been perfect.

As for the brakes I pretty much just keep 2 on/2 off and keep the external brakes at 0 and adjust depending on the wind conditions. If your not comfortable with that yet start at about the halfway or 3/4 point and work down from there.

I have the same reel and I love it, it's been my workhorse reel for almost 2 years now and it's been perfect.

As for the brakes I pretty much just keep 2 on/2 off and keep the external brakes at 0 and adjust depending on the wind conditions. If your not comfortable with that yet start at about the halfway or 3/4 point and work down from there.

Cool. I think I have the brake situation figured out now. Thanks.

Hey guys, now I have a MUCH more important question. I've noticed that as I turn the handle, something happens about every 2.5 rotations. It seems the it gets slightly hard to reel, like I just feel a slight resistance every 2.5 turns of the handle, and it feels kind of rough. This really worries me. Any ideas?

There is also a tiny clicking sound that I almost have to hold up to my ear to hear.

Are your internal break adjusted on the opposite side of each other. Like if your going to use 2 put one on then the opposite side and leave the other two in. Had that issue with my old rapala baitcaster. Maybe a little oil wouldnt hurt either

Are your internal break adjusted on the opposite side of each other. Like if your going to use 2 put one on then the opposite side and leave the other two in. Had that issue with my old rapala baitcaster. Maybe a little oil wouldnt hurt either

Yeah, I've got 2 on on opposite sides.

I've figured out (with some help from someone who messaged me) that it is the level wind. It isn't moving back and forth smoothly. And sometimes it just stops.

I've figured out (with some help from someone who messaged me) that it is the level wind. It isn't moving back and forth smoothly. And sometimes it just stops.

Well, that was the problem. I found that the cap at the base of the level wind was lose. Tightening it seemed to solve that problem. But it is still making a clicking/possibly grinding noise. I think I may have to return it.

Yep^^^ My buddies Lews mg is out to Lews right now for the same problem, he only used it maybe 2 trips. They stated that there was an issue with the levelwinds. Also keep an eye on the grip knobs, they also had an issue with the rubber coating coming off. I will say that they do have great customer service and are claiming a 3 day turn around for my buddies reel.

Where the pawl was held in actually cracked and disengaged the pawl from the levelwind....He didnt realize until his last cast all the line from that cast ended up on the r/h side of the reel.

Be aware that it is common for reels sold on ebay to be returns or warranty repair parts.  It is also generally assumed that if you purchase a reel off of ebay you will may not get warranty support.  There is no absolute, so I am sure that there are people that have purchased brand new excellent equipment and received warranty support from ebay purchases but I wont bet my money on it.  The manufacturers have prefered vendors for a reason.

Think of ebay as "grey market".

Be aware that it is common for reels sold on ebay to be returns or warranty repair parts.  It is also generally assumed that if you purchase a reel off of ebay you will may not get warranty support.  There is no absolute, so I am sure that there are people that have purchased brand new excellent equipment and received warranty support from ebay purchases but I wont bet my money on it.  The manufacturers have prefered vendors for a reason.

Think of ebay as "grey market".

I'll keep that in mind. I contacted the seller, who said they would give me a full refund and reimburse me for return shipping if Lews doesn't take care of it. I will be very hesitant to buy any expensive fishing gear on ebay in the future.

Final update. I just got off the phone with a very helpful and courteous guy at Lews. He said they'd take care of it. Didn't even hesitate when I told him I got it on ebay. So I'm pretty happy with Lews right now.

That is the exact problem I just had with mine. Same reel. Very tight when reeling, no grinding sound that I could hear but I sure could feel it. I bought it new, contacted lews and they send just send it back we will take care of it. Good customer service, we'll see how my new handles when it gets in and I'll let you know.