Sign in to follow this  
DBL000006

Abu Garcia Black Max

I had this reel for a while now. I'm trying to get the drag off, so i an clean it. For some reason i can't get the drag off. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

what have you taking off so far? the schematics should help a lot. are you taking everything apart?

DO NOT disassemble a reel without the schematic. With all due respect, if you're stuck at this stage of the game, seek assistance.  Email me or call this evening after 7 and I'll help you out all I can. 

Mike

I haven't touched it yet. Just want to lube the drag bearing. You guys know the star drag, for some reason it doesn't want to come off.

Take the handle off, keep the bent washers/spacers in correct order, and then screw the drag star off. That is how my Black Max is done.

Yea i got it off and cleaned. Boy did it need to be cleaned. Took me a half hour or more to clean and lube it. Now the handle is spinning like no other. i have a question for you guys as well. When i turn the Star Drag, on the Black Max i don't hear the clicking? Do you guys know what i'm talking about? Like when you adjust the drag. I don't hear that noise at all.

My drag star doesn't click either. It is a cheapo reel that I was impressed with, for the price point that I paid. I don't use it all that much anymore. I spoiled myself with Lew's BB1s and Pro Qualifiers.

the black max does not have a micro click drag system... so if you hear a click there is something wrong... 

Mitch