Sign in to follow this  
stoney723

jigs on the beds?

Are jigs an effective bait for fishing the beds, or are soft plastics more productive? I am planning on getting serious with jigs this season, but I don't want to loose confidence right off the bat. What is your go to bed bait?

Both jigs & plastics are effective so why limit yourself to just one? ;)

Swim jigs that are white or bluegill colored, or else T-rigged lizards.

T-rigged lizards, and something that resembles a crawdad is what I'm going to be working on the beds. Something that looks like it would be a threat to the eggs.

NorthStar Hair jigs are great on beds. Its all about experimenting to see what ticks them off the most.

Another productive plastic is the Zoom finesse worm weightless.

Often it matters not what you put on the bed, as long as the fish is locked, and you get it in the "spot", you could be using a old band-aid and get bit. More so with smallmouth, green fish tend to be a little picky at times.

Hey Mr. Farmer...Try putting some merthiolate on that bandaid.  Killer color!

ill throw anything on a bed. its rare day when a bass will pass up anything i throw while they are on a bed

Not all bass on beds are created equal. I imagine in NY you are catching more smallies off beds and they are quite a bit easier than LM or even spots. You ought to come to the Ozarks and try to catch some of these bedding fish.  Better bring your A game.

I first use a jig...

Then I go to a 4" albino fluke on a 6-8" drop shot... This rig is killer, trust me. I won 3 tournaments using it...

ja,

Agreed on the drop shot. It can be deadly often with a shorter dropper line and a heavier sinker.

Not all bass on beds are created equal. I imagine in NY you are catching more smallies off beds and they are quite a bit easier than LM or even spots. You ought to come to the Ozarks and try to catch some of these bedding fish. Better bring your A game.

If you read my post, I stated that LM were harder to fool, sometimes SM get that way too, but IF the SM are locked on there bed, sometimes it can be stupid easy.We have both fish here, and I almost always pass up LM on beds if there are SM on them. And yes it happens at the same time on the same body of water often.

I've often wanted to fish the Finger Lakes region.  I imagine that you have far less competition for bass fishing than we have here. I say that because of the number of limits weighed in in your tourneys compared to ours.

We don't see too many largies mixing with the smallies on beds, but I have seen it. Brown bass around here are often bedding deeper than greenies.

You really catch them with Band-Aids?

I've often wanted to fish the Finger Lakes region. I imagine that you have far less competition for bass fishing than we have here. I say that because of the number of limits weighed in in your tourneys compared to ours.

We don't see too many largies mixing with the smallies on beds, but I have seen it. Brown bass around here are often bedding deeper than greenies.

highlight]You really catch them with Band-Aids?

Uhhhhhhhh no.......that was just a metaphor for how easy, AT TIMES, SM can be to catch off a bed. I wouldn't have thought that needed to be explained..............

The finger lakes can get very tough, post spawn SM around here vanish into thin air (for me) and during the summer I don't even bother. I'll catch them while LM fishing, but nothing I care to say was not by accident.

I don't think we have any less competition, what  we have is a C&R only season during the spawn, and that means no tournaments during the spawn, IMHO it makes for a healthy fishery. I don't care what anyone says, take a fish off a bed, take it miles away to  a weigh in, and have dozens, if 100+ boats doing that.............that can't be good. I am glad NYS dosen't allow it.

I've often wanted to fish the Finger Lakes region. I imagine that you have far less competition for bass fishing than we have here. I say that because of the number of limits weighed in in your tourneys compared to ours.

You really catch them with Band-Aids?

i fish oneida and yeah there is compettiton but a lot of water to fish so it works out.

my original comment was me just stating that bass are usually bery easy for me catch during the spawn. whether it LM or SM

Senkoman,

It's apparently a different world betrween NY and MO in more ways than one.  Looks like it certainly is concerning spawning bass. The best two tournament spawn time anglers on Table Rock will usually travel miles upon miles the days leading up to the Saturday event to target the big fish that they find.  Most of thee are largemouth and the trick is to find them where others won't or just don't see them. Often these fish are just deeper than most folks look.

Both of these anglers, as seasoned,  and as good as they are will often spend two hours or more trying to catch a  single fish if it means the jingle of cash in their pockets.

Occasionally, they can catch one on the first cast, but 15-45 min. is more average for big females, and some never do bite on the day you would like them to. These guys will not play with fish in practice because that makes them often harder to catch.  Every move a spawning fish makes must be analyzed to get it to strike many days.  It's far from easy on the White River Chain. These guys usually have a generous smorgasboard of baits ready to use at any time. Bucks being more aggressive tend to complicate matters, but generally they are necessary to hold the interest for the big girls to come nearer the nest.

Having fished Champlain, The St. Lawrence and several lakes in MN, I would concur that the spawners up your way are often more protective and easier to catch.  Like you I wish we had a closed season although the biologists tell us no harm is done catching spawning bass. The Corps of Engineers can, in a few days destroy most of the spawn in any of our reservoirs when they pull the plug at the wrong time. And it has happened often.