Sign in to follow this  
bowjunkie76

Need Line Suggestions For 2 Baitcasting Setups.

So I am talking to the neighbor this weekend and he is having problems with his Tour PTi reel.  I offered to work on it for him and he took me up on it.  He brought me back both of his setups. A Tour PTi and Smoke.  He says to Go through them both and put new line on them both.  I said Braid or what?  He said 1 braid and 1 something else.  I said ok, I will get them ready. 

I have several bait casters but normally use spinning reels.   

What would be the best line for these 2 setups?  Both reels are on 7' ish Rods.  1 MH and 1 M. 

I will use a Floro leader on the braid but what other line would be the best or best to use braid on both.  I am learning more myself and using his money to learn :-)  

Put the reel with braid on the MH rod. The medium rod could be used for casting lures so a wag would be 12 lb mono or copolymer line. I would avoid FC due to knot and casting issues.

Tom

• Like 1

I prefer mono myself.  Sunline Super Natural and Sufix Elite are softer lines that retain very little memory.  Depends on your friends experience level.  My daughter doesn't fish often (not because she doesn't want to :sad78: ), and I have Sufix Siege in 12# Neon Tangerine on her reel.  She likes it.  I suggested a softer line in case he doesn't fish often and/or isn't all that proficient with a baitcast reel.

Thanks so far.  Was thinking of a copolymer for the 2nd rod.  I am a fan of the YoZuri line on my spinning reels. 

He is pretty proficent with a baitcaster so I am thinking Power Pro line?  30lb on it and a 12lb copolymer.  Put 10lb floro leaders on both???

#50 Kanzen braid with a #20 fluorocarbon leader on the heavy power rod;

#20 Tatsu on the medium power.

If you don't want to spend that much, Sufix 832 is a great braided line and

Seaguar AbrazX is a good fluorocarbon.

:fishing-026:

30-65lb Sufix Performance braid on med-heavy; 12-17lb Seaguar Red Label floro on medium... I would use mono backing on both

If I were to suggest specific lines, I'd say 40# braid (I like Sufix) for the reel used on the MH rod, and 10# or 12# Siege (or Super Natural) for the Medium rod.  First braid I ever bought was 40# Sufix Performance.  It has been on the reel 5 years and still going strong although I did switch ends last year due to line twist from throwing a spoon for 6 hours tied direct.  The 40# braid is on a Gen 1 STX and makes the trip every year to Florida with me where it is primarily used to throw 10" weightless worms back into the weeds and lily pads.  It is my go to reel while there, and sees a lot of use.  Never had a problem with the line digging in or breaking.