carlm01

What Are The Advantages Of Fluoro Over Mono ?

Less line stretch. Line is more dense, excellent abrasive resistance, line sinks ( could be a plus depending on what u want), excellent slack line sensitivity.

• Like 1

Fluoro is monofilament.

Fluro has some advantages over nylon:

1.- It´s denser which translates into better vibration transmitting properties.

2.- It´s impervious to UV radiation damage, that means it doesn´t "rot"

3.- Doesn´t absorb water

4.- More abrassion resistance when compared to a  nylon line of the same diameter.

Also has some disadvantages.

1.- Costs a lot more

2.- The line is "fragile", kinks ( like when you backlash ) damage it and is sensible to the heat generated as it rubs against itself ( like when tightening a knot )

3.- It´s stiffer

4.- Looses manageability as you increase diameter ( for example, fishing with 12 lb test FC is like trying to fish with a slinky ). 

The subject of stretch has been discussed ad nauseum and it´s a myth that it stretches less, it stretches as much as nylon does.

• Like 3

Gets sinking or crankbaits deeper easier, plus it's virtually invisible for clear water. I only use it for deep cranking though.

Great sensitivity!  Allows so much more feel of the bottom and light bites.  Little bit harder to fish with, but worth it IMO.

Fluoro is monofilament.

Fluro has some advantages over nylon:

1.- It´s denser which translates into better vibration transmitting properties.

2.- It´s impervious to UV radiation damage, that means it doesn´t "rot"

3.- Doesn´t absorb water

4.- More abrassion resistance when compared to a nylon line of the same diameter.

Also has some disadvantages.

1.- Costs a lot more

2.- The line is "fragile", kinks ( like when you backlash ) damage it and is sensible to the heat generated as it rubs against itself ( like when tightening a knot )

3.- It´s stiffer

4.- Looses manageability as you increase diameter ( for example, fishing with 12 lb test FC is like trying to fish with a slinky ).

The subject of stretch has been discussed ad nauseum and it´s a myth that it stretches less, it stretches as much as nylon does.

Manageability isn't as much of an issue with the premium fluorocarbons.
  • Like 1

Yeah right.

Gets sinking or crankbaits deeper easier, plus it's virtually invisible for clear water. I only use it for deep cranking though.

Fluorocarbon is a great line but these statements are not entirely accurate.  The invisibility argument stems from fluorocarbon being closer to water in the refractive index but this doesn't apply to fishing lines because they are neither of a high enough clarity (translucent =/= glass like clarity) or in a large enough diameter for an image to be viewed through the line.  Refrative index in the context of an object under water only applies if the object is of high clarity and is being used as a lens.  A lens that is of the same refrativity as the water will not distort the under water view.  Fish also don't pick up your fishing line and hold it up to their eyes and treat it like a lens.  Even if they wanted to they wouldn't be able to because fishing line is not clear, is far too small in diameter and the differences between fluorocarbon and "mono" in the refractive index are tiny.

I like fluorocarbon as a crankbait line but It's not going to get your crankbaits deeper, as in exceed the rated diving depth.  If a Rapala DT-20 dives to 20 feet on "mono" then it will dive to the same depth on fluorocarbon or braid of the same diameter.  Max depth of a crankbait is determined by line diameter, not material.  Fluorocarbon does not pull a crankbait down and make it dive deeper.  It may help a shallow crank to reach max depth quicker due to a bow in the line aiding a bait with an inherently shallow dive angle but the dive angle on deep diving cranks are so extreme that there way a bow in the line can get beneath the bait. 

• Like 1

agreed. Ive had 15# Red Label on a 200e5 for two seasons. It's far from premium line. KVD L&L does wonders to fluoro.
  • Like 1

Yeah right.

I use mostly Shooter and Tatsu; it's far from casting a slinky. 15lb Tatsu is every bit as manageable, if not more so, than most 15lb nylon lines. I'd much rather use it over Trilene XL, Big Game, etc. Granted, it's not cheap...but I only have to respool once every couple of seasons too because it lasts a lot longer.

• Like 2

Confidence????

I use mostly Shooter and Tatsu; it's far from casting a slinky. 15lb Tatsu is every bit as manageable, if not more so, than most 15lb nylon lines. I'd much rather use it over Trilene XL, Big Game, etc. Granted, it's not cheap...but I only have to respool once every couple of seasons too because it lasts a lot longer.

yeah, what every you say boss.

Great sensitivity!  Allows so much more feel of the bottom and light bites.  Little bit harder to fish with, but worth it IMO.

This can't be expressed enough to people not versed in Fluoro. The slack line sensitivity when coupled with even a halfway decent rod is amazing. It's unreal. I fish a lot of soft jerkbaits and get A LOT of bites on the pause. I never knew about those bites until I spooled up some Invizx. 

Agreed. I've only used Invisiline (edit: I meant Invizx) so far and with a little KVD it gives me zero trouble. It's actually more manageable than Yo-Zuri, imo.

Depending on your outlook, the topic could read  What are the advantages of mono over FC?  Each has applications where they shine and those where they don't.  Choose your line according to your preference.

Oh Yea,  What about braid vs. mono or FC? Sorry, I like to stir the pot every now and then.