sidsmith03

Pickwick Dam Smallmouth And Stripes?

anybody been catching any smallmouth and stripes around the pickwick dam?

you catch them just the typical bass fishing with artificial or do you drift or use some technique using live bait?

I have caught plenty of smallmouth on the lake but i fished the dam for the first time ever on october 18th

All of the above.  It really depends on the water flow and temp.  Sorry, I know that is vague, but it all depends on conditions.  How did you do on the 18th?  Our trip was on the 19th.

Jeff

No problem....I went and bought some large minnows and small minnows....we caught 16 pound blue, 5 pound flat head, 2 crappie, 4 skipjack and 2 drum haha

I'm going with Pete K tomorrow and will report back. Let me know if you

would like to take me out with you and I will be glad to show you what we

have had some luck with over the years.

:fishing-026:

Striper fishing starts down hill this time of year. There harder to catch around the dam when the water gets into the upper 50's and when it hits 55 its almost dead. Now white bass and stripers can be caught. But I fish down river 8 to 12 miles for them this time of year.

Looking forward to fishing With Roadwarrior tomorrow. I'm sure I will learn more from him then he will from me . :cool-3854: 

Was going to offer to take you fishing, then I see you have Roll Tide on your profile.  HAHA Just kidding Will be sauger fishing this winter, if you would like to join in on that. Let me know and we will try to find a time to go. See your a baseball coach in Baldwyn? Bet that would mess up a mans spring fishing for sure.

Pete

Pete and I had a big time, but the wind was challenging!

:fishing-026:

Kent, can you give us any numbers?  Any big fish?

Jeff

• Like 1

We fished the first four hours with artificials exclusively. Pete caught the first largemouth on a jerkbait, I think.

I hooked up with a 4-5 lb smallmouth using a Chatterbait with a Rage Stucture Bug trailer. We then caught a

few on a Silver Buddy and Siebert Outdoors Swim Jig/ Rage Tail Menace trailer.

Around 1:00 we switched to live minnows and proceeded to whack a variety of fish, all the usual suspects and

five or six brown fish. Pete had a devastating stike, but his line broke. The big "fish" landed was ~10lb drum; for

smallies maybe 4lbs+.

The fishing was tough due to a STRONG north wind. We quit around 3:00.

• Like 2

That sounds better than one dink lmb and 1 cat. Where did ya'll fish the river or the lake ?

Put in at the TVA campground ramp just below the dam. We fished both sides of the river 

down to the honky-tonk.

Striper fishing starts down hill this time of year. There harder to catch around the dam when the water gets into the upper 50's and when it hits 55 its almost dead. Now white bass and stripers can be caught. But I fish down river 8 to 12 miles for them this time of year.

Looking forward to fishing With Roadwarrior tomorrow. I'm sure I will learn more from him then he will from me . :cool-3854: 

Was going to offer to take you fishing, then I see you have Roll Tide on your profile.  HAHA Just kidding Will be sauger fishing this winter, if you would like to join in on that. Let me know and we will try to find a time to go. See your a baseball coach in Baldwyn? Bet that would mess up a mans spring fishing for sure.

Pete

LOL yesssir Roll Tide and yes coaching baseball in the spring def takes up all of my spring fishing...Winter time is usually great for me though as i have a week off for thanksgiving and 2 weeks for christmas....and most every weekend leading up to those holidays.

ive never caught a sauger, I would love to come up that way sometime and try and also get more familiar with fishing on the river and around the dam as I went a couple weeks back and was a bit nervous but did enjoy it and will be going back

Sounds like an ok trip.  I saw the water gods were not smiling on you either.  Maybe 2 good hours.....

Made the best of it sounds like!

Jeff

We fished the first four hours with artificials exclusively. Pete caught the first largemouth on a jerkbait, I think.

I hooked up with a 4-5 lb smallmouth using a Chatterbait with a Rage Stucture Bug trailer. We then caught a

few on a Silver Buddy and Siebert Outdoors Swim Jig/ Rage Tail Menace trailer.

Around 1:00 we switched to live minnows and proceeded to whack a variety of fish, all the usual suspects and

five or six brown fish. Pete had a devastating stike, but his line broke. The big "fish" landed was ~10lb drum; for

smallies maybe 4lbs+.

The fishing was tough due to a STRONG north wind. We quit around 3:00.

Man where was the wind blowing? I guess I missed the wind. HAHA

Nov14-2.jpg

Nov14-1.jpg

That fish that popped my 6 lb line, I think was a good one. Line broke clean so may have been where the split shot was? Fish felt good but don't think it was as nice as the one RW had on a Chatterbait. That was a nice one, We did have one double and it was fund. Unreal now nice it was when the live bait bite was on. 

Enjoyed the trip with RW, and hope he will take me again. :happy-127:  Nice to have a auto minnow catcher in the boat.

LOL yesssir Roll Tide and yes coaching baseball in the spring def takes up all of my spring fishing...Winter time is usually great for me though as i have a week off for thanksgiving and 2 weeks for christmas....and most every weekend leading up to those holidays.

ive never caught a sauger, I would love to come up that way sometime and try and also get more familiar with fishing on the river and around the dam as I went a couple weeks back and was a bit nervous but did enjoy it and will be going back

Will for sure try to get a trip up. But Roll Tide now we will have to leave teams on the ramp. :baseball-066:  :fishing2: 

Man where was the wind blowing? I guess I missed the wind. HAHA

Nov14-2.jpg

Nov14-1.jpg

That fish that popped my 6 lb line, I think was a good one. Line broke clean so may have been where the split shot was? Fish felt good but don't think it was as nice as the one RW had on a Chatterbait. That was a nice one, We did have one double and it was fund. Unreal now nice it was when the live bait bite was on. 

Enjoyed the trip with RW, and hope he will take me again. :happy-127:  Nice to have a auto minnow catcher in the boat.

He's handy with a net and needle nose pliers too.  All around Super Nice Guy  to fish with. :respect-059:  :respect-059:  :respect-059:

• Like 1