Sign in to follow this  
YaknCole23

Anyone River Fish This Time Of Year Up North?

Havn't been able to get our for any smallies in the river up here in Northern Indiana.  Just wanted to know if anyone had any tips on reeling in a few of these bad boys this time of year?

I fish rivers all year, and find that drop shots, jigs, and sometimes suspending jerk baits will get it done no matter how cold the water is.

A jerk will do just fine up here in MN. With the temps dropping, the walleye are prime soon in pools 3 & 4 on the Mississippi.

I like to use a jerkbait.  Find one that works for you.  I like LC Pointers #78 and 100.  I also like X-Rap #100.  If your river is very shallow, try a Flat rap.  They can be killer in shallow rivers.  The Keitech swing impact or Berkely Havok Beat shad is also a great cold water lure on a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jighead. If the water is super cold, try a hair jig.

the water's extremely cold right now where i'm at, ponds are partially frozen. but as far as the rivers go your best bet is the ol' drop shot and jigs... slow presintations.

I'm over here at the top of WV  in the Ohio river, and I still get a few here and there,, small jigs in a natural color work this time of year and I target the down side of creeks flowing into the river. color seems to be the difference for here in the colder water. the up side is that the walleye take the same baits.

Last weekend I went on the Grand River for a few hours here in Michigan. Water temperature was in the 50s. Surface temperature that is . I slow retrieved a spinnerbait around laydowns. Got two shorts and two keeps. All LM. Last time I think bc I broke a sway bar on the trailer.