WRB

Life After Fc Line

I remember when fluorocarbon line first became popular out west, 1988.

Tournament tuna anglers used FC line foe leaders and it changed my mind about how fish react to line. Tuna have fantastic eye sight, big eyes and clear water. The anglers using FC leaders kick my butt on that trip.

1991 Aaron Martens found Sunline Shooter FC with spools long enough, 100 meters, filled bass reels. I bought my first spool in '91 and soon learned how tricky knots could be by breaking off a few giant bass, however I was getting more strikes with FC than I did with any other line and the SD jam knot helped. A love hate relationship started with FC line and I tried every brand with worse results than Shooter FC. Today my FC is Super Sniper about the same performance as the original Shhoter, better casting.

Early in 2014 I gave a new Nylon line a try out, Sunline Defier Armilo Nylon line that has low stretch, small diameter and good knot strength with good abrasion resistance and excellent casting characteristics. Starting with 25 lb for swimbaits and really like it. The past few months I have been jig fishing with 15 lb Defier Nylon with good results.

My days using FC may be over!

Tom

• Like 4

Nice. My days with flouro never started and most likely never will!!

Heard good reviews on that defier mono may try some but got a season or two worth of suffix to use first.

I've been using 7lb sniper on my bfs reels. Really like it except for tying knots, it's a little tough but sensitivity is great.

Tom have you ever tried Maxima ultragreen? I know it can be a little stiff but other properties are great.

• Like 1

Early in 2014 I gave a new Nylon line a try out, Sunline Defier Armilo Nylon line that has low stretch, small diameter and good knot strength with good abrasion resistance and excellent casting characteristics. Starting with 25 lb for swimbaits and really like it. The past few months I have been jig fishing with 15 lb Defier Nylon with good results.

My days using FC may be over!

Tom

Tom - how do you rate the sensitivity of the Defier for jig fishing as compared to flouro?

Tom have you ever tried Maxima ultragreen? I know it can be a little stiff but other properties are great.

Yes, caught a line class WR yellowtail on Max Ultra Green in the late 80's. The problem with Max is memory in cold weather, it's like wire!

Tom

Tom - how do you rate the sensitivity of the Defier for jig fishing as compared to flouro?

Low stretch line that sinks, very good at strike detection.

Tom

I havent done much research on nylon, does it have the same optical characteristics of flourocarbon underwater?

I havent done much research on nylon, does it have the same optical characteristics of flourocarbon underwater?

No it doesn't. 

Looks like an excellent line for crankbaits... wish you had posted this during the Black Friday sales (would have bought a spool)!