Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Male

New Reel Questions

I am looking at getting a new reel and had it narrowed down to the revo stx or the lews TP. ( I one one of each of these and love them both) so it comes down to price.

Then I was looking around and became curious about the revo premier. is it worth it? what are the differences besides the obvious (bearing count, carbon fiber handle, lighter weight? the brakes are different, but different how? better?

if you have any experience with these please let me know and thanks.

STX's can be found for 139

TP's for 150

Premiers for 199, same as the other two's retail price.

May want to take that into consideration

Academy had their Lews reels on sale last weekend. YOu may want to check at least their website if you cant get there in person...

My Premier and STX are Gen 1 reels so I can't comment of the Gen 3 models.  I can mention that many considered the Gen 2 Premier as the best reel in its price range.  Able to handle light and heavier lures with ease.  I believe Gen 2 Premier and on have a stronger drag.  I have zero experience with the new drag system on the Gen 3 Premier.  My STX was used for 10" unweighted worms for 4 years running when I visited Florida.  My one grandson grabbed my TP shortly after I got it, so my time with it has been limited more than I would like.  I like it a lot the few times I have been able to use it.

If we are talking new reels, I'd be tempted to go for the Premier as my first choice with the TP second and STX third.  Provided I had the money for a new Premier.  :teeth3:.

• Like 1

Quality and performance wise they are both good choices. It comes down to features and the deal. Generally the Lews are priced lower than the Revos on a feature for feature basis.

• Like 1

I own both stx and premier gen 3. Initially I have had trouble with the thumbar on the stx. It wouldn't re engage unless you fully depress it. Gradually the problem went away. I use them both alot and enjoy them more than other reels from other companies. The premier handles Lighter lures better. They both palm well and cast well. They are great all around reels that handle a wide range of techniques. I find i enjoy using them and feel confident when using them. The premier on sale would be my choice. But the stx isn't far behind.

• Like 1