Sign in to follow this  
JGD

New Guy Here...

I have taken about a 10-12 year hiatus from bass fishing but now plan to get back into it. I got a new 

reel for Christmas- a Penn Spinfisher v 3500. It seems a little heavy duty for bass fishing but I wonder what would be a good(balanced) rod(around $100) to match with it. I fish mostly from the bank but usually

target the larger fish meaning throwing bigger baits. A Texas trip is on the horizon in March.

Thanks and Happy New Year, John.

Since it is a larger spinning reel, go with a 7' MH spinning rod. Bring your reel into a tackle shop and put it onto all sorts of different rods until you find one that feels right. Welcome to the forums!

Since it is a larger spinning reel, go with a 7' MH spinning rod. Bring your reel into a tackle shop and put it onto all sorts of different rods until you find one that feels right. Welcome to the forums!

Yep....what he said.....great advice. It'll ensure you get a great feeling setup and balance.

Welcome. That's a nice reel. If you offshore fish the first thing that came to my mind was oooooooh  a yellowtail snapper reel. I looked at the specs, can you bass fish with this set up? Yes. Without a doubt. Is it ideal? Not really, imho. I think the weight of that reel will effect you during a long outing. Again, that's just me. You might pull it off for long  excursions. Good luck, and welcome to BR. 

Just a suggestion, if you're intent on useing it for bass try a Mh/F Shimano Teramar Inshore rod.

Mike

Maybe an exchange for an equal value reel more suitable to all around bass fishing is a possibility.   Just getting back into bass fishing there may be other reels that are more suitable and allow you to use the reel for more techniques.     Just an option.

Welcome ... back, John!

Hello John and Welcome to Bass Resource ~

A-Jay