Sign in to follow this  
Penguino

Lews Lube Port & Noise

So I recently just got started into baitcasting. I bought a lews laser mg speed spool combo for 75$ at gander mountain. I like it, but there are a few problems that I have with it. I cant find the lube port, and the rod makes slight noise when retrieving. Also, the level wind feels like plastic and wobbles whenever I touch it. Should I just return the reel and get another one???

i use alot of lews reels. but i dont have the laser mg speed spool. i have the bb1 and a few others and the lube port is a trap door on the underside of the reel. u must use a small screwdriver to remove a screw that holds the lube port trap door in place. once the trap door is removed it will expose your gears where i normally take reel grease (not oil) and grease up the gears. 28a2lv8.jpg

smallieking is spot on. You should check the papers that came with your reel, as well.

Imo lube ports are useless. If the reel were that dry inside it needs more attention than you can give it through a port. As for your other concerns I think there just symptoms of an entry level reel but would have to see it to be sure

• Like 1

Imo lube ports are useless. If the reel were that dry inside it needs more attention than you can give it through a port. As for your other concerns I think there just symptoms of an entry level reel but would have to see it to be sure

I like the lube ports on lews casting reels. You can put a dab of grease on a brush and lightly coat the gears while turning them. Now the lube ports on shimano spinning reels are definitely worthless imo.

Adam,

My problem with lube ports in general, is that if the gears are that dry, there are other areas inside likely in  need of attention as well. It's better than nothing, but shouldn't take the place of a deep cleaning.

Adam,

My problem with lube ports in general, is that if the gears are that dry, there are other areas inside likely in need of attention as well. It's better than nothing, but shouldn't take the place of a deep cleaning.

Yeah I agree with that for sure. I just like the fact that the port on the lews actually allows you to access the gears.

So I recently just got started into baitcasting. I bought a lews laser mg speed spool combo for 75$ at gander mountain. I like it, but there are a few problems that I have with it. I cant find the lube port, and the rod makes slight noise when retrieving. Also, the level wind feels like plastic and wobbles whenever I touch it. Should I just return the reel and get another one???

I don't think the Lazer MG has a lube port, the one I had didn't, not sure about the newer ones.

The lube port for me is handy because I can't take anything apart without breaking / losing something. Maybe he is the same way.

I don't think the Lazer MG has a lube port, the one I had didn't, not sure about the newer ones.

When I bought it, the online specifications said it had a lube port.

i use alot of lews reels. but i dont have the laser mg speed spool. i have the bb1 and a few others and the lube port is a trap door on the underside of the reel. u must use a small screwdriver to remove a screw that holds the lube port trap door in place. once the trap door is removed it will expose your gears where i normally take reel grease (not oil) and grease up the gears. 28a2lv8.jpg

Ok thanks. I'll try finding the port

Yeah my lazer mg didn't have a lube port, you have to tear it down to lube it. The level wind line guide was plastic and a little loose on mine as well, but it did not affect the performance at all. What kind of noise is it making?

Yeah my lazer mg didn't have a lube port, you have to tear it down to lube it. The level wind line guide was plastic and a little loose on mine as well, but it did not affect the performance at all. What kind of noise is it making?

I just bought it a month ago, and now it makes a slight hissing sound whenever I reel it in. Honestly, the baitcaster is probably cr*ap and I will probably buy a new one soon.

The lazer mg is a bottom of the line Lews. I'd say at least step up to a speed spool model. It's an aluminum frame and will last you years if maintained properly.

Yeah mine got to where you could hear the gears, and that aggravated the heck out of me. I sold it and bought tatula. I doubt I will ever buy another graphite framed reel, they just don't hold up like aluminum framed ones.

Yeah mine got to where you could hear the gears, and that aggravated the heck out of me. I sold it and bought tatula. I doubt I will ever buy another graphite framed reel, they just don't hold up like aluminum framed ones.

Yeah I will eventually probably sell my laser mg in another month or so to get a nice aluminum baitcaster.

Degrease the thing thoroughly and lube before doing anything. Noise and drag in a new reel are usually due to grease packed tight from the factory.