Sign in to follow this  
scaleface

Making A Swim Bait Weedless

Picked up a Manns Umbrella Bait kit off clearance , bodies and jig heads only not the harness. Been tinkering around , added a Owner keeper and then a short piece of Jelly worm to make it snagless  I cant think of a single reason why this wont work. I dont need that long a piece of worm and could change color but it should work great .

01-24-2015002.jpg

Seems like it would work like a t rig, very innovative!. Weighted hooks are also a good option.

If you're wanting to fish weedless swimbaits on an umbrella rig, why don't you fish the weighted swimbait hooks and rig them texposed?  That may work but what's it look like in the water?  How much open gap do you have once the worm pulls down into the bend of the hook?   You could just use some hollow body swimbaits and use the Owner keeper to rig the swimbait weedless on the jig.  But let us know how it works for you.

Yeah , its texas rigged side hooked . Im always playing with terminal tackle when im fishing. A person cant have too many tricks .

I feel like it's going to add to much resistance and buoyancy to the bait. I like the concept though!

• Like 1

I think there is too much hardware on an umbrella rig to be effectively weedless. It's worth giving it a try though, you might have a better mousetrap.

• Like 1

To me, snagless & weedless are two different concepts.

Snagless implies that a baits' set up will resist or be less apt to snag in wood / timber, rocks, docks or other assorted non-aquatic cover (That's key)

Weedless implies that a bait or rig is less prone to becoming fouled in weeds.  You can pick whichever ones you like.

Where snagless is not usually weedless, weedless is often times fairly snagless.

And there you go.

A-Jay

• Like 1

Im not going to use  it on an umbrella rig and the the worm would probably be clipped down even with the hook..This jig head that come with the  manns lure has such a large hook gap that it should not interfere with the hook set.