Sign in to follow this  
kcdinkerz

Submerged Grass

Do you punch this the same as you would emerged grass? Can't find many vids on how to attack this with a punching setup. I've only been using swim jigs and lipless cranks. Feels like I'm missing a lot of fish that sit thight under these grass mats.

Do you punch this the same as you would emerged grass? Can't find many vids on how to attack this with a punching setup. I've only been using swim jigs and lipless cranks. Feels like I'm missing a lot of fish that sit thight under these grass mats.

That's how I would targetnit... Along with a swim jig/lippless bait. It may be a good idea to try a walker around it as well.
  • Like 1

soft bodied swim baits are also an effective bait in submerged grass beds.  They are especially good when you have a sensitive rod set up and you can feel the grass as it hits the tops and then you can work the bait a little deeper too.

• Like 1

If you mean grass that is totally under the water then you need to consider fishing above the grass, nicking the top of it with a crankbait, lipless crankbait or spinnerbait.

You can also fish the outside or inside edges of the submerged grass line as the bass will hold to this area. You can throw anything you want to do this.

If you want to place your plastics within the grass down to the bottom then you need the weight to get the bait through the grass. Sometimes you will need a half-ounce bullet weight. That is why we use tungsten as those weights are smaller and will penetrate the grass easier.

Some guys like to use a drop shot in and along grass and grass lines with a heavy weight to take the bottom weight down to the bottom.

You have to find where the bass are holding and then attack them with your baits.  This is why your electronics are so important so you can see the submerged grass, drop offs, deeper water and hopefully some fish.

• Like 1

I use a 1/2 oz Terry Oldham's EyeMax Jig

Look for logs, stumps, rocks, cuts caused by run off, & any thing else unusual.

Cast, pitch, & flip! ;)

• Like 1

so short answer would be....... Yes. Along with the 2 other baits you're using to look along the tops of the grass, you can drop the swimjigs into holes if you can see them.  And then you can punch (with just enough weight to get down)into the thicker areas as well. 

Cool I've only been using lipless and swim jigs. Need to try punching.

Superflukes, Senko, Rage Rigs, depending on growth, region of country, also isolated weed beds w/ edges, two types of converging cover, Catt, hit on that.. You can work it a lot of ways.

I've also had good success with very lightly weighted plastics, popping them sharply out of the grass and allowing them to fall back into it. 

• Like 2

For me I observe the grass and make sure what the layout is. I will not punch some grass because what you can be doing is just burying your lure into thick grass and essentially keeping it out of the strike zone. Now if the grass isn't super thick and has holes/canopies I will certainly punch it. Any submerged grass I have to run a spinner-bait ticking over the weeds absolutely deadly.

I've also had good success with very lightly weighted plastics, popping them sharply out of the grass and allowing them to fall back into it. 

good old weightless wacky senko is awesome for that.