Sign in to follow this  
Green Trout

Best Retrieve For Popr Topwater

Various. This is my favorite bait to fish and I've caught more bass on it that any other lure.

Sometimes I work it very fast with a seldom pause. Sometimes I work it painfully slow with more time spent still than moving.

It's all about what they want. I will say, I get more hits on the pause than when its moving, just depends on what they want before it stops.

When bass are more active i use a buzzbait or walking lure...i only use popper when there less active and use a long pause then twitch retrieve.

I do good with either retrieve. Like he said, its what they want. But, i do better with a fast, pop walk walk walk pop walk, type of retrieve. I do it fast and mix it up alot

Learn how to walk them and vary the retrieve.  Pop it, let it sit, walk it a foot or so and twitch pop it again.  Repeat until it disappears in a swirl or explosion from below.

I start out with nothin.

Let it sit till all the ripples disappear...

Walk it in place a few times...

Stop...

Sit for 5-10 seconds...

Pop...

Wait...

Pop, Pop, Pop...

Wait...

Pop...

Repeat same cadence.

Depending on the length the cast, I'll then pop it continuously almost all the way back to the boat...

Stop...

Walk it in place...

Reel in and do it again.

Mike

I vary my retrieve throughout the cast. Fast/slow/stop, until I get a reaction. I'll try to duplicate that part of the retrieve on subsequent casts.

• Like 2

On a hot sunny day in the summer  I like to go to the deep standing timber and retrieve it as noisily as I can.We call it chugging . I have an old bigger Pop R that works well. This is a numbers game not a big fish catcher. 50 to 100 fish days are common.