Sign in to follow this  
bigt89

Bps Qualifier Crankshaft Moves To Easily

I hope this is the correct section for this. I cleaned up all my reels, and only 1 has a problem. The silver part with the gear ratio etc moves up, and down to much, and it's annoying. I took the reel apart, and it just seems very odd that I believe it's the crank shaft (long metal shaft that everything slides right on). I wobble it so easily like something is broken. I have taken apart one of my brand new ones, and it does the same thing, but I don't recall it being as bad.

Also it's such a pain in the butt trying to put back together. The other smaller silver/metal part were the 2 clip things go is so hard taken off and putting back on. It just gets stuck at same location every time like I need to run s grinder across part of the shaft that sticks out a little more then the opposite side so it slides easy again, and I know that can't be right, nor will I do it unless it is the only thing that can be done, just can't figure out how the thing would have expanded enough to cause a problem like this.

If this sounds like it is a problem with the drive shaft, can it be replaced, and is it cheap? I really don't feel like sending it in to bass pro shops unless I can run to the new location in Atlantic city and drop it off since it should be under warranty, unless cleaning the reels voids it taken them apart.

I have checked all screws securing the gear shaft to make sure they are tight. The only thing I have not done is take the last few pieces off to see the actual drive shaft it self.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm only trying to help. Based on what you told me, you should have someone who knows reels clean your reels for you. The problem you have is trying to figure out what exactly you are talking about. The "silver part with the gear ratio" is something I have no idea but I'm assuming this is a spinning reel and the part you are talking about is the main shaft. The main shaft has to move up and down or oscillate in order for the line to be put on the spool evenly. If it is wobbling it is probably due to the rotor being loose which is the part that spins and has the bail attached. There are a lot of anglers that know  what parts are what on reels and that is fine, but if you don't know, don't take it apart because when there is a problem it is hard for anyone to help because we don't know what you are talking about.

Here's a quick video. I'm terrible at describing things. I just don't ever recall this moving up and down like this.

th_95B98F87-C6EA-4A9A-BB07-FD6F743B611A_

I went way off in left field with this going back reading what I wrote.

It's just the shaft that moves up and down. I have not really used my poles in 2 years due getting hurt. Maybe I forgot how the baitcasters feel. I just pulled out a brand new qualifier I just ordered never used or took it apart, and it has that little movement roof I try to push and pull a little.

Pretty normal to have some in/out play on the driveshaft. Without having a PQ to use as a comparison I can't say if that's excessive or not. From the video it doesn't seem terrible. I have a handful of high $ Daiwas that do the same thing. Even my Megabass reel has a bit of play. Some people over on TT have used a thin piece of plastic cut into a small circle. They put it in the bottom of the hole that the driveshaft bearing goes in to. It takes up the bit of in/out play.

I have four PQ's and don't have this issue.