Jump to content
Verisimilidude

Straight Shank Vs. Wide Gap For Texas Rigging

Recommended Posts

I use both and it seems to me like I get a hook in fish a little easier with a straight shank and they stay on a little better with the EWG. I think both get the job done if you do yours. 

The only real difference between certain hook styles for the same technique is a finesse gap vs a light wire straight shank on a drop shot. The straight shank is infinitely better in both hookup ratio and keeping the fish pegged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 10:20 PM, No Thanks I'll Bass said:

I notice you don't use a bead. I have been using a bead in between the weight and the hook. Not sure why? I think I saw a video that used one and I just have done it since. What's the reasoning behind that and is it really worth rigging on there? 

Well, 9/10 I won't even use a bullet weight anymore. I just use an EWG hook and a plastic. If I need a bullet for finesse, it's likely no heavier than 1/16. If I punch a mat, I'll use a 1/3oz.

 

All of my fishing is from the bank, so I am generally pulling my bait into the weeds versus away.

 

The bead is there to protect the knot from the weight, add some flash, add some sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gamakatsu 3/0 round bend offset

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an EWG hook user & abuser.

 For standard (light wire applications) it's Gamakatsu Offset EWG Worm Hooks Black for me. Has been for Years.

For Medium to Heavy Lifting, I'm a Huge fan of the Owner Wide Gap Plus Black Chrome Hook ~ It's like a GAFF.

Tired really hard to like the Lazer Trokar MagWorm Hook.  But the majority of my rigs are Tex-Posed and this hooks "unique surgically sharpened three-sided hook point" slices through my baits well before a fish can get on them.  No Good.

 Still, I carry a wide assortment of various gauge wire Offset Round Bend Worm Hooks ~ just never use them.

Maybe someday . . . . . .

:)

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

 

Tired really hard to like the Lazer Trokar MagWorm Hook.  But the majority of my rigs are Tex-Posed and this hooks "unique surgically sharpened three-sided hook point" slices through my baits well before a fish can get on them.  No Good.

 

:)

A-Jay

A-Jay...Don't tex pose them. Stop before you break through and then throw. Don't worry about not getting a proper hook set with the hook penetrating the plastic..I use the TK 130 exclusively for punching which I can do all day and don't have that problem..

Good Luck

 

Mike 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike L said:

A-Jay...Don't tex pose them. Stop before you break through and then throw. Don't worry about not getting a proper hook set with the hook penetrating the plastic..I use the TK 130 exclusively for punching which I can do all day and don't have that problem..

Good Luck

 

Mike 

I smell what you're cooking Mike ~

Thanks

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2016 at 11:20 PM, No Thanks I'll Bass said:

I notice you don't use a bead. I have been using a bead in between the weight and the hook. Not sure why? I think I saw a video that used one and I just have done it since. What's the reasoning behind that and is it really worth rigging on there? 

3 reasons...

1. It protect's the knot from the weight banging into it

2. It makes somewhat of a clicking sound when it hits the weight which some folks say helps to mimic a craw 

3. It's a confidence thing

 

Mike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mustad EWG hooks for anything rigged texas or weedless. Flukes, stick baits, craws or creatures. I have a lot more confidence in my hookups and in deep cover I can slam a hookset without fear of pulling it out of the mouth. The EWG hooksets also make me feel more confident fishing under docks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...