Sign in to follow this  
Chance_Taker4

Looking For Another Combo Should It Be A Spin Or Cast?

Looking for some advice on whether my next combo should be a spin or a cast setup. What I currently run as a back seated.

6'9" Denali Kovert Crank/ 5.1 ***

For Crankbaits

7' Abu Villain M/ 6:1 Revo S

For Crankbaits, Jerkbaits, Top water

7' Denali Rosewood Spinneebait/7:1 Quantum Smoke

For Spinnerbait and Buzzbait

6'10" Kistler Pro MH/6:1 Lews Tourny Pro

Lipless Cranks and Spinneebaits

7' Denali Rosewood Frog/7:1 BPS PQ

Frogs, Jigs, Punch

6'9" Denali J2 MH/Lews Speed Spin

Worms and Shaky Head

I'm superstitious and need to have 7 combos with me on the boat. What would your 7th be. I have multiple combos from m to mh spinning or m to h casting and multiple ratio reels. I'm just trying to figure out what my last combo should be. My club fishes lake with a lot of open water or filed with rocks. Not a lot of vegetation of laydowns if that helps.

How about a 7 - 7'6" ML/XF spinning rod with a 2500 series reel.  Great for slinging UN-wieghted plastics a country mile and drop shotting.  It will also work as a great finess/live bait/slip bobber rig.

I have a Fenwick Aetos 7'6" ML - XF with a Symetre 2500 that I use all the time.

How about a 7 - 7'6" ML/XF spinning rod with a 2500 series reel.  Great for slinging UN-wieghted plastics a country mile and drop shotting.  It will also work as a great finess/live bait/slip bobber rig.

I have a Fenwick Aetos 7'6" ML - XF with a Symetre 2500 that I use all the time.

That's one combo I do not own. I think that might be the combo I add. I have been drop shotting on my MH shaky head setup since we fish Lake Erie a few times out of the year. But would a 7' ML work? I would have a really hard time hauling a 7'6" in my vehicle, a 7' is tough enough. Also any suggestion on Reel (not a shimano fan)?

Back seating deep rocky structure lakes you spend about 20% of the time fishing active bass and around 80% targeting less active bass, your tackle iappears to be geared for active reaction bite lures.

Out west tournament anglers win by using finesse presentations most of the time because the bass are deeper and holding tight to structure.

Drop shot rig.

Split shot or slip shot rig.

Nail weight rig.

Finesse spider jigs.

Dart head jig/worm.

All the above can be fished on a medium light 6'10" to 7'3" spinning rod, 2500 size reel with 6 to 8 lb FC line.

Take a look at Don Iovino's finesse spinning rod, it's new and designed for all the above at a reasonable price point.

Tom

PS, Don's book Finesse Fishing and the Sonar Connection is worth reading, dated but still a good read.

What´s wrong with spinning gear ?  :Idontknow:

That's one combo I do not own. I think that might be the combo I add. I have been drop shotting on my MH shaky head setup since we fish Lake Erie a few times out of the year. But would a 7' ML work? I would have a really hard time hauling a 7'6" in my vehicle, a 7' is tough enough. Also any suggestion on Reel (not a shimano fan)?

Absolutely a 7' ML would work.  Try and find one that's XF, you'll love the soft tip for finesse.

Regarding a reel, one of the Abu Revos would work!  Size 20 should be perfect.  One you decide on the rod, then test various reels on the rod, this will help you decide.  And who knows, you may end up with a shimano...lol.  Also, you may get drawn towards one of the tiny spinning reels (size 1000)  thinking thats best for the ML rod but they don't cast as far and the drag isn't quite as good because of the smaller spool.

Good luck with search!

• Like 1

What is your opinion on the St Croix Mojo Bass. I never used a St Croix rod before.

What is your opinion on the St Croix Mojo Bass. I never used a St Croix rod before.

I have one and I like it and the new Mojos are even better.  I believe they make a 6'10" version that would fit your needs.

• Like 1

Exactly right. I have a $100 gift card to BPS so I was looking an seen the Mojo. The only downside is when I just went to handle one the guys in the fishing department refused to allow me to put reels on the rod to find on I liked. I hate my area Bass Pro. But it is ok I have all winter to find the right reel.

I have one and I like it and the new Mojos are even better.  I believe they make a 6'10" version that would fit your needs