So I saw it on a boat recently....  Now I cant stop thinking about how helpful it would be for me.  I cant justify spending the money (Mrs. H is pretty cool but not that cool) on powered versions.  It got me thinking on a manual version.  I am clearly going to have to put 2 on the back of my boat.  I have been looking around the internet and found places that sell pre-made versions as well as places that sell parts to make my own.  The price decrease is significant with each route however, its not a drop in the tackle box.

So before I start tinkering this winter on making my own rig...  is there any advantage to buying the highly coveted mechanical versions beyond the ease of deployment?  A difference in holding ability?  For me it only make sense to have 12' version so I am speaking on these.  I do not intend to purchase a powered version.  My intention is to try to build a manual version that will work just as well minus the mechanical deployment.  

Also seeking suggestions on building manual versions.  Places for part, design ideas, or anything someone finds pertinent. 

Bottom composition? ;)

Sounds as though Catfish Edge might have videos for you.  However, after skimming 5 or 10 minutes of a couple of them, I have no clue if Mr. Ferguson ever gets to the point where he actually says something useful. 

I watched his videos.  Some insight but there is a lot of filler.  

Bottom composition is muck or rock.  Muck most often.  The muck is part of the reason I want 12' poles.  I am considering fashioning an auger end also.

12' manual poles?

Good luck with that. ;)

12' manual poles?

Good luck with that. ;)

12 foot manuals might look like this on water

safety2_3_300.jpg