Sign in to follow this  
GeologyRocks

Setup for Revo S and SX?

Hey all - I've come across an old tacklebox that had a few reels in it from several years ago. They've probably been unused since 2011-2012.  I have no instructions/manuals for either or these, nor do I have any rods to accompany them. 

So, with that said...I need to get setup to use one or both of these (I don't know the difference between them?) I've looked the current versions of these online but they seem to be different now. My S is silver with 9 bearings vs current model that's white with 7. My SX has no color accents and has 11 bearings vs the current model that has red accents and 10 bearings. 

I'm fishing in Maryland freshwater and will use these puppies for a variety of fishing - both in rivers/steams as well as lakes/resevoirs. 

Looking for strategies on how to set these up in terms of line weight, rod length/action, and anything else! I don't really have a price range in mind but don't need to be buying 300 dollar rods.

Thanks ahead of time!!

I'm less concerned about what rod is best as opposed to what rod and line is best for these two particular reels....since I know absolutely nothing about them - to include what type and weight of line to use. 

You can use them for what ever you want.! Jigs, Texas rig, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, flipping heavy, topwater spooks, poppers, frogs,etc. Good with any type or weight of line too. Ive used From 8-20lb mono and fluoro. 30-60lb braid.

Here's what I have available to me - I'm certainly willing to buy more:

1) Pflueger Presidential 6930 with 6# Vanish Fluoro, 6'9" Veritas ML/F

2) Revo SX with 12# Vanish Fluoro, 7' Guide Series Medium IM6 (Probably not a great rod, don't know action)

Unpaired:

Revo S

Shimano Sahara 2500

Abu Garcia Vendetta Spinner, 6'3", Medium (don't know action, prob F or XF) 

Shakespeare Titanium IM-7 Baitcaster, 7', Medium Heavy (don't know action) 

I'd like to have dedicated setups for spinnerbait, one for light stuff (pflueger/veritas), and maybe one for light plastics/jigs, and one for heavy plastics/jigs. I'm not sure how to mix/match Revo S and Shimano to meet my needs (and I think I should replace the IM6 Guide Series with something better?). I also don't know what I should use the Abu Garcia Vendetta for. Any thoughts?

The centrifugal brakes on the S are more user friendly IMO. I'd use that for distance casting and put the SX (mag brakes) on a pitching/ flipping setup. Set the spool tension with the mags off then start at 50% braking. 

I took the tension knob assembly off of my Revo SX and put it on the S to see if it would make a difference....it did not. I'm beginning to think this is just the say the S was designed. It's an older generation so that may have something to do with it as well.