Sign in to follow this  
Fishing03xx

50lb Braid on a Black Max Abu Garcia?

I upgraded reels and i am thinking about putting 50lb braid i have laying around on my Black Max. Anyone think this is too heavy of a line for that reel? and will it damage it?

I would do it.  If it does you're only out $40.  I was messing around at Walmart the other day and handled the newest Black Max.  For the price it seems very solid.  I was impressed and wouldn't mind getting one as a beater reel for strip pit fishing.

I kept 65 pound braid on my silver max before, just set your drag right and there should be no issue. :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cottny27 said:

I would do it.  If it does you're only out $40.  I was messing around at Walmart the other day and handled the newest Black Max.  For the price it seems very solid.  I was impressed and wouldn't mind getting one as a beater reel for strip pit fishing.

Ya i just got the orra sx and the black max is going to be an extra top water set up maybe some heavy swimbaits for stripers.

Should work out just fine

The line will not damage your reel. The real question is if it the right line for the application. I fish braid on 80% of my rigs occasionally with a leader often not. 

17 minutes ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

The line will not damage your reel. The real question is if it the right line for the application. I fish braid on 80% of my rigs occasionally with a leader often not. 

I got an orra sx set up for worms and jigs, i was thinking about this setup for some top water and frogs, possibly big swim baits for stripers. 

It will be just fine. Spool it good and tight.

I once owned a ProMax and kept 65 lb braid on it. Worked just fine.