Sign in to follow this  
jtipton91

Trolling motor transducer mount

Got a question for you knowledgeable folks. I recently got a bass raider and want to outfit it with a garmin striker 4 dv. Also want to mount the transducer to the trolling motor. But, the transducer is 6" long and the usable space between skeg and prop of the minn kota is roughly 4.5". So my question is, does anyone see a problem with me removing a partial amount of the skeg in order to make enough room to mount my transducer on bottom of the motor?

• Like 1

Removing some of the skeg would result in loss of steering while trolling. I'd advise against it. Just mount it on the transom.

You can easily make a bracket to mount the transducer from, or you can buy one of the transducer arms designed for a kayak and mount it on your boat. I wouldn't mess with the skeg on your TM though. 

• Like 1

I'm not trying to argue...just picking your brain. Didn't some of the older old trolling motors have little to no skeg?? Maybe I'm wrong but like I said just asking. 

Possibly, but if that was the best way, wouldn't they still be made without a skeg? I've had some pretty old trolling motors, never had one without a skeg. 

Buy a trolling motor transducer? Or just mount it to the boat.

4 hours ago, Kevin22 said:

Buy a trolling motor transducer? Or just mount it to the boat.

U miss my point. The usable space on the bottom of my trolling motor is 4.5" long. The trolling motor transducer I have is 6" long. I'm thinking of mounting it to the bottom of the rudder that I mad out of an old trolling motor bracket and shaft. 

44 minutes ago, jtipton91 said:

U miss my point. The usable space on the bottom of my trolling motor is 4.5" long. The trolling motor transducer I have is 6" long. I'm thinking of mounting it to the bottom of the rudder that I mad out of an old trolling motor bracket and shaft. 

No I didn't. Your transducer is not an universal trolling motor transducer. Downview is not made for trolling motors, they supply a trolling motor mounting bracket for it that works on SOME trolling motors. This is a trolling motor transducer https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/trolling-motor-mount-transducers/plastic-in-hull-trolling-mount-transducer-with-depth-temperature-airmar-p72/prod88666_010-10200-20.html

1 hour ago, Kevin22 said:

No I didn't. Your transducer is not an universal trolling motor transducer. Downview is not made for trolling motors, they supply a trolling motor mounting bracket for it that works on SOME trolling motors. This is a trolling motor transducer https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/trolling-motor-mount-transducers/plastic-in-hull-trolling-mount-transducer-with-depth-temperature-airmar-p72/prod88666_010-10200-20.html

Ahhh ok now I understand what you were saying. Misunderstood you, sorry for any confusion

2 hours ago, jtipton91 said:

No problem! Also there is an in hull mount for kayaks and pond hoppers. All info is on garmin's website 

1 hour ago, Kevin22 said:

No problem! Also there is an in hull mount for kayaks and pond hoppers. All info is on garmin's website 

Ok. Thankyou much for your help

Ya I wouldn't remove any of the skeg.  Finding out you have lost some steering control as a result of that would be a worse situation than not having the transducer fit.