Jump to content
Jon burrows

Why do they bother

Recommended Posts

Remember when man landed on the moon...it was 1969...we had perfect live pictures and live audio...now comes Bassmasters in 2016 and they can't show us live pictures or live audio without picture freeze or audio freeze...they should just give up on trying to show us...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol. 

Basmsaster tries as hard as they can, it's just that Toledo bend has terrible cell coverage. Back around that time you mentioned in 1969, bass enthusiasts had to rely on magazine coverage for tournaments. Today, I watched the king himself, KVD, catch a 9 pound monster in real time. I'll take the 2016 coverage, personally.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jon burrows said:

Remember when man landed on the moon...it was 1969...we had perfect live pictures and live audio...now comes Bassmasters in 2016 and they can't show us live pictures or live audio without picture freeze or audio freeze...they should just give up on trying to show us...

Because bassmaster doesn't have the budget that NASA has/had. Donate a few million to bassmaster so we can all watch in perfect quality please. 

There's no way that was a serious question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

because they shot the moon landing in a hollywood studio (i had to....... now enter the conspiracy theorists)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a pill to watch but I am glad they are trying it. No other way I am going to be a boat with a pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2016 at 4:08 PM, Senko lover said:

Lol. 

Basmsaster tries as hard as they can, it's just that Toledo bend has terrible cell coverage. Back around that time you mentioned in 1969, bass enthusiasts had to rely on magazine coverage for tournaments. Today, I watched the king himself, KVD, catch a 9 pound monster in real time. I'll take the 2016 coverage, personally.  

I fish Toledo Bend & ya can for the most part leave your cell phone in the truck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Catt said:

I fish Toledo Bend & ya can for the most part leave your cell phone in the truck!

I'd be out there with you if I could, brother. But you gotta get some pics of those lunkers! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Senko lover said:

I'd be out there with you if I could, brother. But you gotta get some pics of those lunkers! 

I don't do selfies with bass ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do live event production work, and there are ways to increase cell/broadcast coverage that work very well. They are not cheap, but pretty much every "major" outdoor event will supplement cell service somehow, with some municipalities requiring it as part of your event permit.  No idea what Bassmasters budget is, but you would think for an event that is completely reliant on clear broadcasting (and I am assuming ad revenue from viewership), that they would prioritize it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bunnielab said:

I do live event production work, and there are ways to increase cell/broadcast coverage that work very well. They are not cheap, but pretty much every "major" outdoor event will supplement cell service somehow, with some municipalities requiring it as part of your event permit.  No idea what Bassmasters budget is, but you would think for an event that is completely reliant on clear broadcasting (and I am assuming ad revenue from viewership), that they would prioritize it. 

We are in year two of these "Bass Live" broadcasts I believe? I suspected/hoped that they will find ways going forward to improve the coverage but I am curious about your experience. Are any of these outdoor events covering similiar large expanses? For instance Toledo Bend is 65 miles long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the entire 65 miles of lake is open for the tournament, then yes that is going to be very hard to cover the entire thing.  While I am mostly a physical infrastructure/logistics guy, my idea would be to use chase boats with repeaters/signal amps to follow at least the most popular boaters/top five/whatever.  Assuming that the organizers can track the position of every competitor, it would be relatively easy to work out how to spread your resources out.  It is an interesting problem, as usually you are trying to solve a capacity issue (50-100k people all tying to upload to facebook/twitter/whatever all at the same time) or, in urban events, tall buildings.  Without even an idea of their budget it is hard to do more than speculate, but one would assume they are working on it.  How close to capacity do pro fisherman load their boats?  I wonder if there is an issue with adding more gear/weight to the exisitng boats? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×