Bassin4Fun2

Pflueger Purist 1325 drag

I have Pflueger Purist 1325 spinning reel and I really like everything about this reel. Lately, I don't feel like the drag is enough or maybe working properly. I have to set the drag as tight as possible or the drag will slip whenever I set the hook. This happens with bass as small as 1/2lb or so. Does this sound like I have a problem with my drag or is this reel just not very good for bass fishing with a drag of only 6lbs? I am considering upgrading to either a Shimano Symetry, Pflueger Supreme or higher models. Should I be looking at the 2500 models in Shimano and 30 series for Pflueger? Thank you

6 lbs is plenty drag for most fishing and your reel shouldn't be slipping like that especially when it's locked down. 

If it's newer, I'd contact pure fishing. The few times I've sent in things, they almost always send a replacement free of charge. The only times I paid was when the reel was an older model and they offered a new model at a discount. 

The Sedona and above are quality reels from shimano and the 2500 (or 30 pflueger/abu) size is perfect for bass. 

I like the President and supreme lines but something about shimano reels has me coming back. 

Thank you for your help. It doesn't slip when locked all the way down, but if it isn't set all the way then it slips. It is only couple years old so will see what pure fishing says about it.

Its what the drag is supposed to do if it wont slip your line will break and the drag surface of that reel is smaller then a Dime ..no offense but locking down a reel that small is defeating the whole light line small reel purpose anyway.i dont lock any drag whether  its a  baitcaster with 25lb line or a UL with 2 lb line

• Like 1

Ok Thanks, however it seems like I can't get a solid hook set and miss a lot of fish if I don't have the drag tightened all the way. Would it be best to keep the drag tight until I hook a fish and then loosen? Do you think I would be better of with a larger size reel with better drag? Thanks again for your help. 

Are you using sharp hoooks...owner ,gama,vmc i can set these hooks on anything and not even fishing..carpet,shirts,pants,couches,fingers,shoulders ,legs ,hats pretty much anything except smooth metal

Are you spoiled with braid? If so did you use a backer? If not the braid is slipping on the spool. This is the most common drag question I get. Otherwise cleaning and greasing the drag or ideally upgrade to Carbontex. They are strong but very smooth as well. 

I usually use the bass pro brand hooks but them seem pretty good. Yes, I  always use backing with my braid.