Sign in to follow this  
BassB8Caster

Let's Talk Froggin

So I decided to hit up one of the larger lakes known for top notch bass in the state (as opposed to small ponds I typically fish). Out of a kayak was quite a task. When I got out there I found that there was quite a bit of pads lilies and grasses. I decided to stay away from boat traffic and bang the banks. Most was with the frog. 

I was able to get a lot of action. Some periods I was getting a hit every cast. But it seems like they were just hitting it. We're they all small fish? I read an article saying bedding males will do this just hitting the bite, not to eat. I caught a bunch of pickerel, a 1.25 and 2.5 on the frog. I also got a nice 2.5 to 2.75 largemouth on a green chatterbait. 

There are some big fish in this lake. Was talking to marina owner and he said big of the weekend was 7.9. Said fish were on the beds. So what are your thoughts? All small fish? I tried sticking to edges where 2 to 3 feet of water dropped off quickly. Larger fish in deeper water? Appreciate everyone's input!

Sometimes smaller bass aren't able to get the frog in their mouth.  You could try down sizing the frog to a "junior" model.

I was thinking smaller fish until I read the "Bass were on beds", part. Most likely you were dragging it over spawning fish and they were just slapping at it to get it away from their beds. The areas you said you were fishing sounds like bedding areas too. 

• Like 3

The more I read on here (including articles) I agree as well that it's bedding bass. This is my first spawn fishing bass. I started last summer (July). I was under the impression that bass bed in Sandy areas.  I never thought they made beds under/in lilies and grasses. This is good to know. So is it correct  to say I should have fished the deeper areas just offshore from where I was fishing to find the bigger females?  

9 hours ago, BassB8Caster said:

The more I read on here (including articles) I agree as well that it's bedding bass. This is my first spawn fishing bass. I started last summer (July). I was under the impression that bass bed in Sandy areas.  I never thought they made beds under/in lilies and grasses. This is good to know. So is it correct  to say I should have fished the deeper areas just offshore from where I was fishing to find the bigger females?  

Once you get to the postspawn period then yes, you'll likely find some of those bigger females on the first drop into deeper water in that area. 

8 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Once you get to the postspawn period then yes, you'll likely find some of those bigger females on the first drop into deeper water in that area. 

thanks. Starting to see more and more frog conversations. That time of year.