Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I had never tried bowfishing before, so I picked up a bowfishing arrow, and spooled an old 4000 shimano with 80lb braid which I then jerry rigged on my little brother's old bow by taping it to the stabilizer. I brought the bow in the kayak with me on the river while I bass fished. There was a bit of a learning curve but I figured it out an shot a monster. It weighed just under 11 and a half pounds. Fun stuff, I'll be trying it again depending on how well this fish does as crab cakes. 

FullSizeRender (57).jpg

FullSizeRender (58).jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is fun as crap stickin one like that. I've only done it a few times and had a blast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow wicked set of choppers.

Let us know how it tastes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome catch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Consensus: Flavor is great, but the texture is very strange. Some sort of membrane in between each "flake" of meat that is sort of spongy making the meat a little chewy. I will try a small one next to see if it's any good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, everythingthatswims said:

Consensus: Flavor is great, but the texture is very strange. Some sort of membrane in between each "flake" of meat that is sort of spongy making the meat a little chewy. I will try a small one next to see if it's any good.

I would have released it rather than tempt the texture gods, LOL!!!

I'm just not that into fish for other than the sport of fishing....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darren. said:

I would have released it rather than tempt the texture gods, LOL!!!

I'm just not that into fish for other than the sport of fishing....

For some reason they do not revive well when caught via arrow. I'm a big fan of eating fish (no bass though), the main reason I set this up and went bowfishing is to learn a little bit so we can load a cooler with some of the darn huge spadefish at a wreck we fish off of NC that just mosey around the boat and don't eat anything ever.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be careful, gar roe is poisonous and it's the time of year they should be spawning in your area most likely. 

I know lots of folks that love eating gar, most use a bandsaw to clean them. I've shot a couple monsters around here but never put them on a scale. So many Asian Carp anymore that it's about all I shoot if I go on the river. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Be careful, gar roe is poisonous and it's the time of year they should be spawning in your area most likely. 

I know lots of folks that love eating gar, most use a bandsaw to clean them. I've shot a couple monsters around here but never put them on a scale. So many Asian Carp anymore that it's about all I shoot if I go on the river. 

Yeah I made sure to stay out of the rib cage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I fished a creek on some public land there were so many Gar in the shallow parts you could just reach down and grab them... If you don't mind the teeth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome gar and even more awesome shirt!!!  I seriously just went to UA Website to order one of the longsleeves.  Keep up the bowfishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gar are awesome to catch but near impossible to hook and they are really good at taking bait off your hook without you knowing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×