Sign in to follow this  
Dat_Bass

Jig Trailers

Alright so I just received 6 jigs. I've used them before with a regular Zoom Speed Craw as a trailer but I also received some more plastics that I think can be used as trailers. As of right now I have speed craws, zoom super chunks, yum mighty bugs, zoom brush hogs, and havoc pit bosses. I see some have more appendages which means more action right? Now the question is when do I want more action and when do I want less? If it makes any difference, I received two swim jigs, two flippin jigs, and two bitsy jigs. Thanks.

This is how I do it...........YMMV:

Trailers with a lot of "action" = when I am swimming a jig,or stroking a jig. or "burning" a big football jig along the bottom. 

Trailers with a little bit of action = when I am flipping or pitching a jig to cover, or when I am briskly dragging a football jig.

Trailers with little to no action = when I am dragging a football jig slowly along the bottom or when I am having to really soak a jig that I have flipped or pitched into cover to get bit...........IE...........a tough bite.

I  DO NOT buy any special plastics made and marketed as "jig trailers". My trailers are 99% of the time the same plastics I would use on a t-rig, or by themselves in another manner. This keeps things simple, the bait selection streamlined, and it hasn't failed me yet.

• Like 1

But what about time of the year? Like right now, in the summer while it's hot do I want lots, little, or no action?

22 minutes ago, Dat_Bass said:

But what about time of the year? Like right now, in the summer while it's hot do I want lots, little, or no action?

Depends.....go out and experiment where you fish and see what the bass react to.

Normally I would say in cold water go with less action, and warmer water go with more.........but here in WNY we will rarely if ever see the kind of summertime water temps as you will in Florida.

And even at that, sometimes the opposite holds true. I have caught fish in 45 degree water on baits that move and flap like crazy, and had to go subtle in the summer.

My general rule of thumb is under 62 degrees and over 85 degrees I use a chunk or craw with little to no action. From 62 to 85 degrees I'll use trailers like a rage chunk or craw, or the paca style chunks and craws but the appendages will flap on the fall or if I'm stroking it. When the water is warm the metabolism of a fish is very high so the added movement is natural and fish will chase more but when it is too hot, the metabolism is still high but oxygen becomes depleted so the fish end up not wanting to chase or move too fast which is why I go back to the "do nothing" chunk style trailers when it is really hot. The other deal is size, the cold water I will often use a smaller trailer where as the warmer water a bulk style is preferable, yes, there are times that fish will do the opposite but as a general rule of thumb I go with the smaller chunk in cold water and beef it up as the water gets warmer.

Zoom Swimming Chunk during winter, everything else the rest of the year.

10097149.jpg