Sign in to follow this  
stk44

Armored craw rigging

I fished the last two days. I caught 20 bass, 14 of these just on a biwaa armored craw. I really like the action- not too much, but not too little plus the claws stay upright. It skips great and I really like the small profile that makes up the main body. 

I do have one question though. What is the ideal way to Texas rig this bait? I started with a 2/0 gamakatsu EWG. This was too small. So I went with the 3/0 gamakatsu. The back end of the bait is so thin, it gets torn up really easy. So I cut the butt end off the craw and now it's too small lengthwise to fit a 3/0 but too thick to properly seat a 2/0 hook. Any suggestions? 

Edit: I guess what I'm getting at is: they are awesome baits, but at 5.99/ 6 pack, I don't want them to get torn up after every fish. 

Use a smaller EWG style hook, that bait isn't large and I'll bet they suck the entire bait in. I'd try a 1/0 or 2/0 EWG style hook so the hook point comes through higher up on the body, I doubt you'll miss fish because of the smaller hook but I know you'll extend the life of the bait.

• Like 1

I use 3/0 ewg. I use them on jika rigs and have been pretty successful lately. You're right that its right between the size of hooks. I just rig carefully and hope for the best

• Like 1

Owner Rig N hook is a shorter shank wide gap.

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WRB said:

Owner Rig N hook is a shorter shank wide gap.

Tom

Tom, 

That is exactly what I'm looking for. I hope a local store has them so I can match them up. I'm thinking the 3/0 would do just fine if not. Thanks again! 

Owner Riggin' Hook is definitely the ticket. I use it on a couple of craw-type baits and tubes that are very short but thick and need the wide gap with a short shank. Excellent suggestion from Tom.

• Like 1