Sign in to follow this  
riverbasser

spots & largemouth

Been having a few tough days lately locating largemouth but have been able to catch spotted bass around rocks about 20ft deep. Curious would you expect to find largemouth in same area as spots? And/or would you expect largemouth to be around the same depth range in different areas? How much do they vary in there habits?

For me  I treat Spotted bass like smallmouth bass in lieu of Largemouth.

Spotted bass are usually more aggressive and easier to catch, preferring rock structure over aquatic vegetation or wood that LMB tend to like when available.

If your lake/River has current areas, smallies and spots prefer those locations, LMB will use current when it brings prey to them otherwise prefer current break areas.

Depth depends on where the prey is or any thermocline and when the water warms where there is little or no current thermocline becomes a factor.

Tom

• Like 3

Depends on the body of water!

It is quite common to catch Spotted bass & Largemouth on the same structure.

Toledo Bend doesn't have a lot of rock areas & not much current but plenty of Spotted bass.

• Like 1

I agree spots are more aggressive which may be why I'm catching them even when the bite is slow, which it keeps me from getting skunked so that's good. Not sure why I'm having trouble catching largmouth in wood right now. 

I should mention I'm mainly referring to the Chattahoochee river but this would also apply to my local resevoir

I have the same problem. I love spots and on Lake Hartwell you can catch a limit of them and win so I don't mind catching them. It's almost like they are attracted to me. If I go to lakes that have a small population of spots I ALWAYS catch spots. I blame that on my fishing style. Probably because I am use to Lake Hartwell where I have fished everyday for 2 weeks and caught limits daily of all spots. I agree they are more aggressive. I think their aggresion is one reason why the smaller ones bite a lot. Makes it easy to get a limit at least. Lol. I do find largemouth on structure mixed in with spots so that shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

my home water (Lake Norman) here in NC has undergone a changeover from all largemouth to mostly spotted bass with some largemouth remaining. we'll go thru periods where we catch all spots, and lots of them, especially during the spawn and early post spawn. now that the water has warmed into the low 80's they appear to have schooled up off shore. thus we are catching some largemouth along with some spots. it has taken some getting used to in terms of what "normal" is anymore. the bigger worms and lizards (that i used to throw) now have been replaced with smaller offerings. dont get me wrong, the fishing has vastly improved since the spot was introduced here but i do miss my beloved "silver backs".

• Like 1

you'll also find shoal bass in the chatahoochee!  i tend to catch them or largemouth, but not a ton of spots out of the river.  the largemouth tend to hang out in the brushpiles and backwater areas where there is little to no current.  shoalies are in the shoals and also in the inflows.  the few spots i tend to catch seem to congregate around the areas where the inflows are.