Sign in to follow this  
Dane Morris

Senko Fishing With VMC Wacky Jig?

Hey guys my name is Dane Morris and I am a sophomore in high school as I am somewhat new to bass resource. I usually fish senkos wacky rigged weightless and I wanted to try something different. I am interested in purchasing the VMC Wacky Jigs and I was wondering what you guys thought of them and how to use them with an o-ring? Also, what size weights do you use most?

Thanks,

Dane

Tight Lines!

Welcome to the forum Dane.

Personally, I don't use regular Senkos with weighted heads because they sink quickly as is and I feel like it ruins a lot of that action when they're rigged to sink too quickly.

I use the weighted wacky heads for things like trick worm that sink too slowly if fished without a weighted head. 1/16 is the size I use the most. 

• Like 1

i'm with bluebasser in that i don't really use them for regular senkos.  However, if you were to use them, i don't know how well it would go with an o ring.  i'd suggest getting some heat shrink tubing from lowe's or home depot and using that in place of the o ring.  check this article out for how to:

http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_indiana_bass/a-better-wacky-rigging-method.html

15 hours ago, Dane Morris said:

Hey guys my name is Dane Morris and I am a sophomore in high school as I am somewhat new to bass resource. I usually fish senkos wacky rigged weightless and I wanted to try something different. I am interested in purchasing the VMC Wacky Jigs and I was wondering what you guys thought of them and how to use them with an o-ring? Also, what size weights do you use most?

Thanks,

Dane

Tight Lines!

Welcome, Dane!

Wacky jigs are good for getting down deeper,
faster. I use them mostly in windy conditions,
or if the water is high, otherwise I usually use
Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap hooks and I tie
my own weed guards.

As for VMC, be careful with wire weed guards,
as they can be stiff - at least on their weightless
hooks....

26 minutes ago, Darren. said:

Welcome, Dane!

Wacky jigs are good for getting down deeper,
faster. I use them mostly in windy conditions,
or if the water is high, otherwise I usually use
Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap hooks and I tie
my own weed guards.

As for VMC, be careful with wire weed guards,
as they can be stiff - at least on their weightless
hooks....

Thanks for your help Darren, I really appreciate it.

52 minutes ago, buzzed bait said:

i'm with bluebasser in that i don't really use them for regular senkos.  However, if you were to use them, i don't know how well it would go with an o ring.  i'd suggest getting some heat shrink tubing from lowe's or home depot and using that in place of the o ring.  check this article out for how to:

http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_indiana_bass/a-better-wacky-rigging-method.html

Thanks so much buzzed bait.

14 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Personally, I don't use regular Senkos with weighted heads because they sink quickly as is and I feel like it ruins a lot of that action when they're rigged to sink too quickly.

I use the weighted wacky heads for things like trick worm that sink too slowly if fished without a weighted head. 1/16 is the size I use the most. 

Thanks so much for the detailed and informative reply.

1 hour ago, Cheesefrank said:

I like using a 2/0 gama circle hook.

thanks for the advice

14 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

So if I wanted to fish a seance at a lake in 25-30 ft of water, what would you recommend doing?

I switched this year to Kalin's Wac-O-Worm after using Yamasenkos for years.  Yamasenkos work great but they fall apart easily and are quite expensive.  Kalin's are about 60% of the cost, plus they last 2-3 times longer.  Stronger salt/garlic scent seems to work well too.  A little denser and faster sink rate.  I will rig weightless in calm, still lakes and with a 1/16 oz VMC wacky hook in river current.  I used the O rings to preserve the Yamasenkos better... maybe helped a little.  I don't use them with Kalin's since they last longer and I don't have to hassle with putting the O rings on all the time.  

27 minutes ago, FryDog62 said:

I switched this year to Kalin's Wac-O-Worm after using Yamasenkos for years.  Yamasenkos work great but they fall apart easily and are quite expensive.  Kalin's are about 60% of the cost, plus they last 2-3 times longer.  Stronger salt/garlic scent seems to work well too.  A little denser and faster sink rate.  I will rig weightless in calm, still lakes and with a 1/16 oz VMC wacky hook in river current.  I used the O rings to preserve the Yamasenkos better... maybe helped a little.  I don't use them with Kalin's since they last longer and I don't have to hassle with putting the O rings on all the time.  

Thanks for the input, I will check out the wax o worm