Sign in to follow this  
joe chum

Drop Shot Rod for Small Topwater/Jerkbaits?

I have a Loomis DS spinning rod and was thinking this might work for small topwaters and jerkbaits. Anybody have any feedback?

Why would it not work?  Go ahead and use it, it should work just fine for those and many other lures as well. 

I do it all the time. Drop shot rods normally have a soft tip and that would be good for treble hook lures and assuming it has a fast action it will be easier for work in the baits. The type of line will also be a factor.

Technique specific Rod labels are just suggestions. Don't be afraid to experiment. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joe chum said:

I have a Loomis DS spinning rod and was thinking this might work for small topwaters and jerkbaits. Anybody have any feedback?

OK, I see some problems.  I would say no if you are using braid.  Walking a bait or jerking a bait can leave loose loops of line on a spinning reel.  If you are using mono or FC, then go for it, but small would be the operative word.

I would be using mono. I'd be throwing small poppers and jerkbaits, shad raps, etc. Basically a 1/4oz. and less.

17 hours ago, joe chum said:

I had this exact same questions in the late winter. I've been using 6'9" avid X MLXF and it does very well with husky jerk HJ06 -HJ10 and I would say 10's are the absolute limit. 

I would recommend running small # test flouro, I think it would be more versatile IMO.

10 hours ago, stk44 said:

I had this exact same questions in the late winter. I've been using 6'9" avid X MLXF and it does very well with husky jerk HJ06 -HJ10 and I would say 10's are the absolute limit. 

I would recommend running small # test flouro, I think it would be more versatile IMO.

I also have a St. Croix DS rod. I think it'll be the rod I'll use instead of my Loomis. Thanks.

1 hour ago, joe chum said:

I also have a St. Croix DS rod. I think it'll be the rod I'll use instead of my Loomis. Thanks.

Sounds good to me. 

I have a sc369mlxf. It sees a lot more use as my small popper rod then drop shot. Give it a shot you will probably like it. 

34 minutes ago, EvanT123 said:

I have a sc369mlxf. It sees a lot more use as my small popper rod then drop shot. Give it a shot you will probably like it. 

I have an Avid X built on that same blank, and I use it for both.  Super versatile rod.