Jump to content

Recommended Posts

hey guys and gals. I have heard a lot of controversy about what knot is the strongest for fishing. Many people I know say the double blood knot, while some say the knotless, and some palomer, and a few that swear by snell. I would say that the palomer knot is the best and strongest. I also like it for its ease of use. I would like some of your opinions on which knot is the best either by strength and ease of use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, opinions are like...you know what. 
Everyone has one :)

That said, I use Palomar, Clinch, Uni for
securing hooks to line.

What is *best* is subjective at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Darren. said:

Wow, opinions are like...you know what. 
Everyone has one :)

That said, I use Palomar, Clinch, Uni for
securing hooks to line.

What is *best* is subjective at best.

True. And I know! idk why anyone would think the double blood is so strong especially... ive lost many lures to it, and I know I tie it right. but, an opinion is an opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Floro: I've been using San Diego Jam last few years. I like it because it can be done quickly, less tag getting wasted and I haven't broken a fish off. Stronger? Double SDJ...

Braid: SDJ or Palomar. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frogfather said:

Floro: I've been using San Diego Jam last few years. I like it because it can be done quickly, less tag getting wasted and I haven't broken a fish off. Stronger? Double SDJ...

Braid: SDJ or Palomar. 

 

where you from in ohio? I'm in northwest about an hour away from Toledo
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zayne Royal said:

where you from in ohio? I'm in northwest about an hour away from Toledo
 

 

 

The 216/Cleveland! Hard to believe I'm going to say this: home of the World Champion Cleveland Cavs...Yup. Grown men were crying over this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frogfather said:

The 216/Cleveland! Hard to believe I'm going to say this: home of the World Champion Cleveland Cavs...Yup. Grown men were crying over this.

lol! I was there not long ago, and I was wearing a shirt I got from there today from rays mtb park, ever been to napoleon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been to Napoleon but heard about football team a few years ago, 2012?, playoffs. Gotta represent with the gear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frogfather said:

I've never been to Napoleon but heard about football team a few years ago, 2012?, playoffs. Gotta represent with the gear!

yea!  have you been to rays?0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nope. can't say that I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zayne Royal said:

are you into biking? I think its a great place to let off some stress and give my knees a beating lol

Not my cup of tea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palomar.  And where I can't use that the good ol' Trilene knot handles the rest for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frogfather said:

Not my cup of tea. 

you should try it out sometime, my family got into it a few years ago and it is a money waster tho... we all have over 2 grand in bikes. my dad has one for 4 grand. I would say try out rays on one of the rental bikes tho. its how we got into mountain biking.

Just now, Jeff H said:

Palomar.  And where I can't use that the good ol' Trilene knot handles the rest for me. 

ive never tried the triline, though ive heard a lot about it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zayne Royal said:

 

ive never tried the triline, though ive heard a lot about it

Clinch knot but twice through the eye.  There is a how to vid on Berkleys website I think.  I do not use this knot on any of the superlines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jeff H said:

Clinch knot but twice through the eye.  There is a how to vid on Berkleys website I think.  I do not use this knot on any of the superlines.

ill check it out some time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fluoro/mono I use a trilene knot and it has never really failed. For braid it's always a palomar. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jeff H said:

Palomar.  And where I can't use that the good ol' Trilene knot handles the rest for me. 

This is exactly what I do. I use to use the clinch knot but the trilene takes only a few seconds longer and is stronger than the clinch knot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm down to just five knots for fishing line; covers everything for me:

To spool: Arbor - no explanation needed

Leader: Alberto - FG might be 'stronger', however, I have zero confidence in tying, ESPECIALLY on the water

To hook/lure: Rapala Loop for dog walkers; Palomar for all braid; San Diego Jam for everything else

All three are easy to tie and stronger than any test line I'll tying them with

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

polamar

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Controversy? or difference of opinion? Call it what you will. but what it comes down to is which knot YOU tie best. Spend a rainy afternoon practicing knots. Tie several different knots, then break them all. See which ones you tie best, and use them.

You really want to get better at this? Spend another rainy afternoon practicing using 2lb test line.If you can tie a good knot in that, you can tie a good knot with any line.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the type of line or sometimes the bait/hook I'm tying, but the knots I use are:

Palomar, improved clinch, SDJ, snell, rapala.

For tying leaders I always use the Alberto.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×