Sign in to follow this  
Josh_Bovaird

Flipping rod and guide questions

I'm looking at building a mhx fs904 for light duty flipping,  what do you guys suggest for guides ill be running either 17-20lb flouro or 50lb braid.   Not sure on the hole number and size of guide thing yet.

Any input on the blank or one similar is always welcome to

I have the same blank. used fuji micros all the way. mud hole has an online guide placement chart works like a charm.

no,I use power pro super8 or spiderwire. have no problems at all.

also if you have any questions you can call mudhole and they are more than helpful.

• Like 1

The only way you will have any trouble running any line through micros is if you use line to leader knots, which you probably won't on this setup.  Since flipping is such a low energy cast, you don't want anything to interfere with free flow of the line.  I really think braid is the right line for flipping, to get the best possible hook set while in the slop and weeds.

Having said what I have, I see no compelling reason to use especially small guides or especially large guides.  I am building one with Fuji K series in size 5.5, using all KB's for max strength of the guide feet.  That guide is now available in a new less expensive version with the Concept O ring.  Log T I think?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MickD said:

The only way you will have any trouble running any line through micros is if you use line to leader knots, which you probably won't on this setup.  Since flipping is such a low energy cast, you don't want anything to interfere with free flow of the line.  I really think braid is the right line for flipping, to get the best possible hook set while in the slop and weeds.

Having said what I have, I see no compelling reason to use especially small guides or especially large guides.  I am building one with Fuji K series in size 5.5, using all KB's for max strength of the guide feet.  That guide is now available in a new less expensive version with the Concept O ring.  Log T I think?

Thanks Mick ill check them out and I very rarly use leader unless it super clear water.

A double foot 6, 20" from the reel, then either 4.5 or 5.5 to the tip. Forget charts and static test for placement. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

A double foot 6, 20" from the reel, then either 4.5 or 5.5 to the tip. Forget charts and static test for placement. 

Thanks Mike I was gonna ask you about it when we meet up and will probably still pick you're brain.  

i personally flip a fs966-mhx rod blank with mhx win grips, and fuji concept single-foot all-purpose running guides model l alconite rod guide, and a 4.5 tip. one of my captain is one of the original rod builders there, and he sets me up with stuff that is not to expensive, and very durable.