Jump to content
Master Bait'r

UPCOMING TRIP THREAD!

Recommended Posts

Stoked on your next adventure?  Got the day off and you're running off to the lake?  Headed someplace new?  Nervous about an upcoming tournament and want a second opinion on your approach?  This is the thread for that!

 

I got the idea because I'm headed to my favorite big lake and I'm pretty jacked up for it!  It's been really tough to get out lately.  Going solo with six combos and a small mountain of gear.  I've caught some serious pigs there- I cannot wait to start punching pads and digging lanes!  The alarm goes off at 430 and there is no way I'm sleeping anytime soon haha...  Oh well!  Maybe I should start counting Larrys? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GoCougs14 said:

Interested to hear how it goes!

 

It was awesome!  The wind was a bit much but that meant there was nobody around and a TON of action in the pads and grass.  I don't even know how many I caught lol.  Nothing really big but man it was a fun day!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Master Bait'r said:

 

It was awesome!  The wind was a bit much but that meant there was nobody around and a TON of action in the pads and grass.  I don't even know how many I caught lol.  Nothing really big but man it was a fun day!

pics?? estimated count?  stats on biggest ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about to stay in the Outer Banks for 2 weeks straight. I'm not sure how long my body can handle being up before daylight and fishing until after dark because I've only stayed for 1 week at a time before, but it should be a pretty wide open week full of fish. No bass down there but if there were I wouldn't notice them anyways!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hog Basser said:

pics?? estimated count?  stats on biggest ones?

 

I'd say I actually boated about 12-15 bass.  None over the 3ish mark so definitely nothing crazy but it was just a really fun day to be out.  The killer was that I lost a few that were much larger, and the fish of the day blew the hook literally at my fingertips!  I definitely yelled and grabbed at water.  

 

Here are a few randos

461E7984-A776-4D20-B204-43D053D5F032_zps

8CB97AE6-AF66-432C-A452-1C745B18AB3F_zps

 

Biggest pickerel I've ever seen in my life.  He barely fit in my net and I could hardly even grab em for the pic!  Couldn't even get the whole fish in the pic.  I've caught smaller muskies!  Mend-It should sponsor this guy!! 

EAE0AB25-6DCF-4316-AEE9-519A757CD5F7_zps

 

Also since this reservoir consists of several demolished and flooded towns, here is an old road surrounded by heavy cover I like to visit.  There are also a lot of rock walls too!  

4E168611-8585-4779-A109-190680DADCD7_zps

67B699FA-EED2-469C-91DE-E42183729C3C_zps

 

As I said, no monsters but it got progressively windier and windier as the day went on so it got tough to even make one or two casts at a time by the end.  Lots of oar work in the weeds today.  Pouring myself a nice local brewed IPA for the cherry on top after I hit submit!  :D

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Job ~ Congrats

btw, Love the Pickerel Pic . .

:)

A-Jay

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Master Bait'r said:

 

EAE0AB25-6DCF-4316-AEE9-519A757CD5F7_zps

 

hahahahaha nice pic!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, everythingthatswims said:

I'm about to stay in the Outer Banks for 2 weeks straight. I'm not sure how long my body can handle being up before daylight and fishing until after dark because I've only stayed for 1 week at a time before, but it should be a pretty wide open week full of fish. No bass down there but if there were I wouldn't notice them anyways!

 

Bringing the kayak for some inshore or brackish fishing?  Striper a and blues?  What's the plan?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Master Bait'r said:

 

Bringing the kayak for some inshore or brackish fishing?  Striper a and blues?  What's the plan?  

In kayaks we have landed speckled trout, redfish, flounder, sheepshead, spadefish, striper, grey trout, black drum, bluefish, and spanish mackerel. We also have a boat that when the water is calm we take offshore and troll for tuna and mahi. One year I got to catch a bunch of little mahis on my smallmouth rod with 6lb test and an x-rap.

 

And the vendor for Nikko Baits that I am friends with just invited me to go to ICAST and work at his booth with him, so if I can figure out travel and lodging, I may just have to leave the beach a couple days early and head to Orlando.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm heading down to the Destin, FL area and staying at Sandestin resort July 11-15.  My wife is there all week for a work conference and i'm tagging along for the free place to stay and hang out!  I've read they have over 70 ponds and i can fish them all!  I'm pretty stoked!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, buzzed bait said:

i'm heading down to the Destin, FL area and staying at Sandestin resort July 11-15.  My wife is there all week for a work conference and i'm tagging along for the free place to stay and hang out!  I've read they have over 70 ponds and i can fish them all!  I'm pretty stoked!

Dang! I'd be tying on a huge worm, jig, or swimbait and be fishing it the whole time. Lots of potential for you to get your new pb in FL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Senko lover said:

Dang! I'd be tying on a huge worm, jig, or swimbait and be fishing it the whole time. Lots of potential for you to get your new pb in FL.

exactly what i have in mind kemosabe!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'll be fishing somewhere this next saturday. Already bought a whopper plopper that I hope gets here in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm headed to Orlando in two weeks already have a Toho trip booked but I am also looking to hit some of the local spots. Underhill and Ivanhoe are two of the local small lakes I'm looking at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be fishing for a couple hours tomorrow morning. I will be fishing a couple lakes that are right bye each-other. One of the lakes is 22 acres has an average depth of 9 feet a maximum depth of 22 feet. It has Largemouth, Pike, and Panfish. The other lake is 16 acres, has a average depth of 12 feet and a maximum depth of 52 feet. it has Largemouth, Smallmouth, Pike, and panfish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I caught 4 bass with the biggest one being only 15 inches. Fun to catch some bass though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I WAS all ready for a normal day of flood welding down in the forge with my lavaproof suit on in 90+ heat...  But the torch melted and they didn't have replacement parts.  Looks like I'm getting paid to go float around and drink beer! Man I love minimum billing!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planning a trip in the fall with an old friend.The lake is about an hour away.The fun way and most direct route is through 10 miles or so of good ol florida piney woods.

I used to fish this lake when I was in my 20s and early 30s.Ran into an old man who had 2 big bass on his wall and they were caught in the same lake.

I had some memorable times there before.Camped out in my truck one night there after a girlfriend broke up with me.Showed up there another time to meet a friend.I was going to teach him about fishing and he was going to take me out sailing.When I got there he had almost drowned when he went swimming out in the middle of the lake and the sailboat took off on him.

Fished a tournament there.Did not win.

Had another girl cast out and hooked my hat and threw it out in the lake there.

Fell out of the boat there.

Got stuck bad in the sand there with my future wife.

Got to the hard road one night going home and stopped to check the boat.License plate and bracket were gone.

So Im looking forward to going back but Im not sure why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 7, 2016 at 10:27 PM, N Florida Mike said:

Planning a trip in the fall with an old friend.The lake is about an hour away.The fun way and most direct route is through 10 miles or so of good ol florida piney woods.

I used to fish this lake when I was in my 20s and early 30s.Ran into an old man who had 2 big bass on his wall and they were caught in the same lake.

I had some memorable times there before.Camped out in my truck one night there after a girlfriend broke up with me.Showed up there another time to meet a friend.I was going to teach him about fishing and he was going to take me out sailing.When I got there he had almost drowned when he went swimming out in the middle of the lake and the sailboat took off on him.

Fished a tournament there.Did not win.

Had another girl cast out and hooked my hat and threw it out in the lake there.

Fell out of the boat there.

Got stuck bad in the sand there with my future wife.

Got to the hard road one night going home and stopped to check the boat.License plate and bracket were gone.

So Im looking forward to going back but Im not sure why.

 

Well it sounds like there will be a story to tell afterwards no matter what :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last minute decision: it's going to be way too hot later on.  Definitely getting up before dawn to take advantage of low temps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Master Bait'r said:

Last minute decision: it's going to be way too hot later on.  Definitely getting up before dawn to take advantage of low temps!

 

T'was a lovely morning.  

6D95F53B-006D-4B2E-BCFB-05A107ED8E8D_zps

 

While not exactly a super productive outing, I was able to track down a nice drag runner.  

3412ED65-E321-4FC3-B3F3-5CF8468601DD_zps

0BF7D7BA-F4C4-43A3-B11F-CF3EAC62B72E_zps

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking the boy out again tomorrow morning- this will be his first time out fishing solo in a kayak.  He's been paddling before, but this will be his first time getting his line wet from one.  He is really excited and so am I!  I'll be bringing two combos for him- one 6' MF spinning setup and one 6'6" MH spinning setup.  Both with braid.  Right now I'm thinking a t-rigged worm or craw on the little guy and some kind of a spinnerbait on the bigger one to start out.  Any input from you guys on what bait you've had the best luck with for kids?


Fwiw, pictured below is the pond we will be going to- just a little jewel-like ring of emergent cover near where we live, deep in the middle (20+) and clean bottom in the center portion.  It is also stocked with trout every year just for the kid derby, but that's really the only day it's actually fished to any degree by anyone but me.  In this pond, even at his farthest away (he is really excited to "do his own fishing") I can still keep a close eye on him and be there to help if he needs anything- he can get a little adventure space and I can still feel like a responsible parent.  Thanks in advance for any kid tips though!

B746F21A-E558-4633-B096-95DDCA06DC99_zps

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Headed to Pawleys Island, SC for a week. I haven't decided if I'll take the kayak and fish the inlets or hire a guide with kayaks and gear. That would be easier because I wouldn't feel the need to drive my truck down as well as my wife taking her car, but I'm a cheap skate and I've already managed a few flounder before on my own. I'll take pics though and report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×