jtipton91

Optimal glide/swimbait conditions?

Just seeing what people's thoughts are as to the optimal conditions to throw a glide or hudd 68? Time of year, temp, etc. When have you had the most luck?

I like water that is clear to stained with spring and fall being my favorite times of year. Winter is great at the power plant lakes. They seem to eat the Hudd in the colder water better than the glides. Water temps between 50-75 (broad I know). Main thing for me is the water clarity. As long as I can see the bait a couple feet down, I'll give them a try. 

Thanks as always for your advice. So it sounds like im not going against the grain too much throwing them even in the summer. Water Temps are right around 80-85 mid day. Clarity 5' or so.

Yeah, should be able to catch some if they'll eat them where you're fishing them. I've run into a few lakes where they just won't eat big baits for whatever reason. This time of year is when I really like rats and wake baits like a Slammer. 

Just now, jtipton91 said:

Thanks as always for your advice. So it sounds like im not going against the grain too much throwing them even in the summer. Water Temps are right around 80-85 mid day. Clarity 5' or so.

I realize there are probably more favorable baits and techniques for this time of year and temp, it's just hard not to atleast try them lol. 

Just now, Bluebasser86 said:

Yeah, should be able to catch some if they'll eat them where you're fishing them. I've run into a few lakes where they just won't eat big baits for whatever reason. This time of year is when I really like rats and wake baits like a Slammer. 

Ya I've caught a few but the action has died down the last few times I've been out for whatever reason. I've thought about a slammer but the primary lake/pond I fish seems extremely tough to get a "topwater bite".

7 minutes ago, jtipton91 said:

I realize there are probably more favorable baits and techniques for this time of year and temp, it's just hard not to atleast try them lol. 

Ya I've caught a few but the action has died down the last few times I've been out for whatever reason. I've thought about a slammer but the primary lake/pond I fish seems extremely tough to get a "topwater bite".

A Slammer or Rat bite is a unique thing I've found. Some of my best Slammer/rat lakes have terrible topwater bites. I think it's just the size and commotion that draws them. 

14 minutes ago, jtipton91 said:
4 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

A Slammer or Rat bite is a unique thing I've found. Some of my best Slammer/rat lakes have terrible topwater bites. I think it's just the size and commotion that draws them. 

Ahhh don't say that...it could be another reason for me to make another tackle purchase. I did see a rat swimming out off the bank the other day though. First time ever seeing one actually in the water. I didn't think rats swam but after watching it for a bit, I see how rat baits work.

Especially in the midwest, where field mice and rats abound with the crop fields and livestock farms and so many of our bodies of water are surrounded by overgrown vegetation. I just don't see how you could be without one. I like to get right up against overgrown banks and wake or twitch a rat parallel to the shoreline. My biggest swimbait bass every year are caught on wake baits it seems. 

I agree, my wife can probably see how I could do without one though. Lol in all seriousness, if u were to pick one, Ms slammer vs spro rat or similar? 

For me it's seasonal, cold water periods mid day to early evening with little or no wind and warm water periods the low light with light breeze seems to work better.

Remember during the summer the bass have lots of prey choices and there is more boat traffic, both affect using big baits.

Tom

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jtipton91 said:

I agree, my wife can probably see how I could do without one though. Lol in all seriousness, if u were to pick one, Ms slammer vs spro rat or similar? 

I prefer the Slammer, but that's probably because I've fished it more and fish it more often than the rat.