:fishing-026:

Hello and Welcome to Bass Resource ~

As an admitted new & inexperienced Bass angler, it's a good idea seeking the advice of those who have been down the road ahead of you.

However, instead of offering choices that you made using little experience, perhaps tell us where & what type of waters you plan of fishing and what your "super tight budget" actually is.   Then you'll no doubt get a much better list of choices that will certainly meet and most likely exceed your expectations.

Good Luck and again Welcome

A-Jay

• Like 5

Well said A-Jay. Personally, I've never cared much for low budget combos .A super tight budget to me is under $100 and to get any quality gear,  you would be looking at something used (rod or reel). More info will give you more choices but a Berkley Lightning Shock paired with a Abu Black Max should run about that (new). 

You can pick up a St. Croix Triumph X rod from their website for $60.00 (that's $40.00 off) and you can get a decent reel from Dicks or most stores for $49.00 to $59.00 and you'll have a decent set up! Just my opinion as a budget minded bass fisherman!

20 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Hello and Welcome to Bass Resource ~

As an admitted new & inexperienced Bass angler, it's a good idea seeking the advice of those who have been down the road ahead of you.

However, instead of offering choices that you made using little experience, perhaps tell us where & what type of waters you plan of fishing and what your "super tight budget" actually is.   Then you'll no doubt get a much better list of choices that will certainly meet and most likely exceed your expectations.

Good Luck and again Welcome

A-Jay

Thank you, i'll be fishing the lakes of arizona. I'm not sure which one's yet. I'd like to catch bass and catfish.

If part of your Newness to bass fishing includes learning to use & especially cast a rod & reel, starting out with spinning gear may get you into fish a little faster.  For when compared to revolving spool (bait casting) gear, spinning gear generally has a shorter learning curve which is a polite way of saying it's often easier to learn to use effectively.   As for purchasing casting gear; if you've not used it (and even if you have) purchasing a brand name unit, slightly above what is generally considered entry level may offer an angler something with decent quality where a reasonable expectation of success can be anticipated.  Casting gear can be a little trick to learn and a bit better unit helps.  

Some of the more popular brands include but are not limited to include, Shimano, Diawa, Quantum, Lews, Okuma, ABU Garcia, Pinnacle, & Pflueger.   Casting or spinning gear slightly above entry level (and of course beyond) from any of these is usually solid.   Best advice may be to make a trip to your local sporting goods store and chack some out on person.

A-Jay

• Like 1

I would check my local Walmart for the rod mentioned above the Berkley Lightning Rod Shock Casting Rod in a 6"6" Medium spec.  That rod works from 1/4 to 3/4 weight lures. I can tell you I fish 2 of them along with rods that cost over $300. These rods work very well and will hold up for you.  I purchased one, fished it and then 2 more (one more baitcaster for me and one spinning for my wife). I use mine to bass and striper fish on the Chesapeake Bay. Those rods have held up to 10 pound stripers, and a 15 pound catfish. That rod from Walmart runs $34.00.  If your walmart does not have one then go online here  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Lightning-Rod-Shock-Casting-Rod/33607294#about  Another good option is from Dicks Sporting Goods  Check out this rod. I also like it I fish this one more for texas rigs, carolina rigs , and jigs but it would work well for general purpose as well. I own and like the 7 footer and they still have them at my local DSG. I think the 6'6" would work as well.http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=33262186&cp=4406646.70516396.4413993.4414792&categoryId=70520236&fg=Rod Type 

I would rather you saved up a bit and got a better quality reel and some very good quality reels are available at discounted prices. Check some of these out. This diawa is regularly sold for $100. I fish one and I have a friend that fishes at least 3 days a week and his hold up to huge bass, stripers, and snakeheads on the Potomac. They are selling it for $76.44.  https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-EXE100HA-Exceller-Bait-Cast/dp/B00DFSN6BY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1469004945&sr=1-1&keywords=Diawa+exceller+baitcasting+reels That would mean your combo would cost $110.44. That would be while using a $100 real. Go look at it on any other site,Dicks, Cabelas, Tackle Warehouse.

If you chose an Abu reel I would suggest stepping up to the ProMax it is the top of the line in the Max line. It will hold up the best. If you check here on Ebay you can get one for less than $60

I have to agree with A-Jay.  A spinning reel is going to get you fishing effectively much quicker.  You will be casting proficiently in no time.  A Pflueger President is a fine reel, but for $20 less the Pflueger Trion is no slouch.  That and a Berkley Lightning (not the Lightning Shock) will cost about $80.  My Lightning spinning rod is 35-40 years old and still gets used occasionally.  Most people like the Lightning Shock, but I have a hard time getting past its color.  :rolleyes:

I'd go for the 30 size if you decide on a Trion.  Put a little mono backing on it and finish filling with 10# Performance braid.  It is a quality braid in the lower price range.  Braid will help eliminate line twist.  I normally prefer a mono or co-polymer.  8# Sufix Elite, Trilene XL or Sunline Super Natural would make good choices to start out.  Remember to close the bail by hand....not by cranking the handle.

Good luck and let us know what you decided on.

If you go the spinning route Dicks Sporting goods has a rebate on the Pflueger President reel so after the mail in rebate the reel only costs $50.