MassYak85

Whopper Plopper Hooks

So last year after having decent success on the 90 size, I decided to pull the trigger on a 130, but really haven't been using it until this year. After having great success on it, I decided to grab another in Loon color for some night time fishing. Upon opening the new one I immediately noticed the hooks were far beefier than the ones on my old one. Does anyone know at what point R2S changed them over? 

Also I am looking to beef up the hooks on my older one since a smallie bent up the front treble pretty good. Has anyone done this yet? I'm looking for recommendations on what type and size hooks to use. I like the ones on the newer one, but am not sure what R2S uses for those. Thanks!

Edit: I see the other thread someone else made so you can disregard the second part, but if anyone knows when they changed the hooks and why I would be curious. 

I must've gotten one of the old ones. My hooks bent after two fish.

I just got a 130 the other day,and my hooks do not look beefy,at all. I am planning on upgrading, but still figuring out which to get. For a lure with that price tag you would think they put have better hooks.

8 hours ago, trupp30 said:

I just got a 130 the other day,and my hooks do not look beefy,at all. I am planning on upgrading, but still figuring out which to get. For a lure with that price tag you would think they put have better hooks.

Hmm, interesting. I will definitely be upgrading the ones on my old one, the ones on my new one almost seem like overkill. Either they made a mistake on my new one or they must have made an upgrade somewhat recently, possible you got one of the older ones that was still sitting around. My only other theory is that they use different hooks for different colors, using beefier ones on the black colored ones thinking you will be fishing them at night and they can get away with beefier terminal tackle on them for that reason, but that seems a little silly to me.  

They just recently upgraded them, maybe at the same time the introduced the silent WP? I saw the new hooks when I was at the tackled store Friday. They look very similar to the hooks I replaced mine with. 

Does anybody have a picture comparing the old hooks to the new? I just got a 130 in the mail today and was planning to upgrade the hooks. I wasn't aware that they changed them up recently, so I don't know if mine are the good ones or not.

• Like 1

Yes, pictures showing the difference between the old hooks and the new hooks would be very helpful. I just got 4 of them within the past month from Tackle Warehouse...Loon and Bone in the 130 and Perch and Blue Blood in the 90. The Loon and Blue Blood came right away but the Bone and Perch were on backorder and just came a couple days ago. I didn't think to compare the hooks but maybe i should.