Sign in to follow this  
papajoe222

Light wire treble hooks

I'm looking for some decent, light wire trebles to put on my grandson's crankbaits.  He'll be fishing from shore and I want him to be able to straighten out the hooks should he get hung up.  He's already lost a few and I don't want him to get 'gun shy' about fishing cover for fear of loosing baits.  Many of the cranks on the market come with 2X or heavier hooks.  This not only makes getting a good, long distance hook-set difficult, but even using braid, those hooks are difficult to straighten. 

Is there the holy grail of dirt cheap hooks like this that are reasonably sharp? I do a ton of river fishing and lose a lot of baits on rocks so I don't want to add expensive trebles on. The one bait I put Gamakatsu trebles on, I lost on the 3rd cast after having used it for a month. Brand and model number would be a bonus. 

The megabass aren't horrible, but cheaper would be better. When the fishing is good it isn't unheard of to lose over 20 cranks a year.

The Megabass do have a nice thin hook point, but the rest of it is like 3X thick and I doubt if they'd straighten very easily.  I just may give them a shot on my jerkbaits as I have a terrible hook up percentage with them in the early spring.