Sign in to follow this  
scaleface

Pouring spinnerbaits

For you experienced spinnerbait makers . I have a  20 year old Do It bullet style spinnerbait mold it reads Spinner Jig model SJ-4B-A .I need components  . The mold reads.035 for 1/8 and 1/4 ounce lures and .040  gauge wire for 3/8 and 1/2 ounce lures .For  hooks the mold reads  1.0 , 2.0 , 3.0 and 4.0 . the smaller hooks for the smaller weight ... 

I plan on getting .032 and .035 wires . I'll just get the longest ones because I'm going to cut them to size  I dont plan on getting the .040 because I usually go with smaller blades   . Can I get by with using two size hooks . will 2.0 work in the 1/8 cavity . the either a 3.0 or 4.0 for the  3/8 an 1/2 ounce cavity's .  I dont want to buy a lot of unnecessary hooks .

The mold also  reads hook style 253 or 3407 .

I just saw there are some .029 wire forms too . 

The first thing is to learn with the .035" and the .040" diameter wire in the right cavities, going thinner requires you use tape of some kind on the mold in order to keep the wire from sliding down. After a few dozen baits you'll understand how the mold works and the wire positioning. As for hooks, get the largest size for the smallest cavity you'll pour and the largest size for the biggest cavity you'll pour and it will cover all the bases. The Mustad 32606 should work and the 32608 should also work, the latter is a 2X long shank and I prefer the longer shank since I don't like trailer hooks. Good luck.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, smalljaw67 said:

The first thing is to learn with the .035" and the .040" diameter wire in the right cavities, going thinner requires you use tape of some kind on the mold in order to keep the wire from sliding down. After a few dozen baits you'll understand how the mold works and the wire positioning. As for hooks, get the largest size for the smallest cavity you'll pour and the largest size for the biggest cavity you'll pour and it will cover all the bases. The Mustad 32606 should work and the 32608 should also work, the latter is a 2X long shank and I prefer the longer shank since I don't like trailer hooks. Good luck.

I plan on pouring all four sizes . If a 2.0 will fit in the 1/8 cavity i will use them   . I dont know if the diameter is different for  1.0 , 2.0 , 3.0 , .4.0 

Yes, the diameters are different, but for the purpose of pouring those spinnerbaits, it should not matter that much. I find that the real limitation is how the mold faces are set up to accomodate the hooks.  For some hooks, you might need to modify the mold (flat surfaces in the mold other than the actual bait cavity) to accept a hook other than that specified by Do-it. Jim Barlow from Barlows provides excellent info on acceptable hooks for do it molds.

Hope this helps,

Dave

• Like 1