Sign in to follow this  
RedHeadAngler

stella in salt and freshwater

I understand that the stella can be used in both fresh and salt. Do any of you guys use your's for bass and inshore? I'm planning on buying an older model and was just curious.

The 2500 series has plenty of line capacity for saltwater applications, but heavy line on a spinning reel still has its challenges. My suggestion would be #30 Seaguar Smackdown (braid) with a fluorocarbon leader. Something new I am experimenting with is Gliss, but I have not fished it enough to recommend the line at this point.

:fishing-026:

• Like 1

I do this with my Stradics in 2500 and 4000 size, so I'm sure the Stella would be just fine as long as you remember to rinse the reel after fishing in the salt.

I agree that braid is the way to go but depending on your reel size and what you're fishing for, I don't think you need 30 lb as RW mentions.  I got quite a few days of South Carolina inshore fishing under my belt and I've done just fine with 15 lb braid on my 2500 reels and 20 lb braid on my 4000s.  To me the extra line capacity of the smaller braid is more useful than a higher test braid.

My rigs have handled everything from reds, trout, flounder, blues, rays and small sharks, and truthfully speaking I find that the ability to handle those toothier species is more a function of your leader size than your main line.

38 minutes ago, Chris at Tech said:

I do this with my Stradics in 2500 and 4000 size, so I'm sure the Stella would be just fine as long as you remember to rinse the reel after fishing in the salt.

I agree that braid is the way to go but depending on your reel size and what you're fishing for, I don't think you need 30 lb as RW mentions.  I got quite a few days of South Carolina inshore fishing under my belt and I've done just fine with 15 lb braid on my 2500 reels and 20 lb braid on my 4000s.  To me the extra line capacity of the smaller braid is more useful than a higher test braid.

My rigs have handled everything from reds, trout, flounder, blues, rays and small sharks, and truthfully speaking I find that the ability to handle those toothier species is more a function of your leader size than your main line.

Smackdown is the difference.  You can get away with 30# Smack as it is the same diameter as other braids' 15 or 20 so you are on the same exact page fwiw. 

Interesting...

and actually I think that would keep consistent with my point.  For inshore, I think having more line on the spool is more advantageous than a higher breaking strength.  Granted the Stella is slightly different in that regard but the max drag settings of the smaller spinning reels are more aligned with the breaking strengths of the lighter braids.  

With that said, my way isn't the only way.  So for those who do it, why would you choose 30 lb for this application on a bass-sized spinning reel?  What advantage does 30 give over 20?