I'm new to this forum, so I'm sure this question has been asked before. I apologize in advance. I live on a private Lake in central California. Lake is approximately 30-40 acres and depth ranges from 10' deep to 40'. It was built on an old sand pit, and there is not much structure other than weed lines. We catch a lot of fish every time we go out, but they're typically 1-2lbs. Biggest fish so far is 8lbs. I know there are double digit fish in this lake, and I just can't figure out how to catch them. Any suggestions? 

Hello and Welcome to Bass Resource ~

Perhaps switch up your technique, presentation (lures), and usual locations.

Seems you got catching the juvenile bass down. 

Maybe fishing in different spots, at different times, using baits that target bigger bass.

May not get as many, but this could improve your opportunity to get a bigger fish.

Finally, spring & fall are often great times to get on bigger bass so concentrating your efforts during those times helps out as well.

And if you can, fishing at night is often a game changer; especially during the Dawg Days of Summer.

Good Luck

A-Jay

• Like 3

Welcome and I can't add much more that what was posted

Big Jigs and Swimbaits would be a place to start

• Like 1

Find out what the main forage in the lake is ,then catch the biggest ones you can find and fish with them.I also chum a few areas continually.This attracts everything in the food chain including big bass.

Artificially,I have done best on BIG worms and senkos.Also frogs,floating and sinking.

big ones usually like it slow and low.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, why are you convinced that a 30-40 acre reservoir holds double digit bass?  That's a pretty small body of water..  Not saying you're incorrect, as I know very little about bass fishing in California, but typically up here in the north east smaller bodies of water like that aren't going to produce the biggest bass unless they are literally never fished and you have a lot of luck on your hands... A couple of bass need to live and gorge themselves on forage for a very long time to grow to double digits, and on a 30-40 acre reservoir the odds that it has enough forage base for a bass to grow that large aren't very favorable in my opinion.  

Maybe someone with more experience fishing in California can chime in however, as I could be off base... But that's what I would tend to think until I had it on good authority that I was incorrect.  

Other  than that, great tips listed above on how to target bigger bass in general... Plus if you pulled an 8lber out of there already perhaps you're right and bigger ones are just waiting!  Man I'd love to fish in Cali.. Lol