Sign in to follow this  
OkobojiEagle

Spinnerbait blade flash

Are bass (smallmouth & largemouth) hitting your spinnerbait because of the blade's flash or in spite of its flash?

oe

Depending on the day, yes.

Most of the time I think it's because of flash. In muddy water or at night its definitely vibration. I think the flash matters more in clear water, but then again i catch tons of big smallies on chartreuse and chartreuse and white spinner baits with painted blades

It depends, and hence why there are different types of spinnerbaits. If you are using shiny long and thin (like a minnow) double willow leafs on a sunny day, it's probably because the bass are keyed in on the side flash of baitfish, see your spinnerbait imitate that flash, and hit it. If you use big black chrome or bronze colorado blades in muddy water, they are probably keying in on the vibration. And I'm sure sometimes it's a combination of both. Then there are times they just see something wiz by them and hit it without thinking too much (raction strikes). 

• Like 1

Bass feel the vibration in their lateral line first, then the sight of the flash seals the deal!

Even in murky water ;)

• Like 1

Bass can feel the bait long time before they are eve capable of seeing it.

• Like 1

My frame of reference is smallmouth in heavily pressured clear lakes... my opinion is a strong, bright flash grabs attention from a distance, but can deter the final strike.  The rhythmic vibration is an effective call that I'd prefer to follow up with a more subtle visual enticement such as "tarnished" silver, gold or painted blades with an appropriately sized silhouette.  I'm more inclined to use a highly reflective blade in low light or broken light conditions where I'm trying to reflect and blend in with the surrounding cover.

oe

• Like 1

It's really a combination of both IMO. If I'm looking to get their attention with flash, or when there's  less wind, I go to a hammered blade. When I need more vibration, I go to a Colorado or Indiana blade

• Like 1