Sign in to follow this  
Further North

What's a good price for a gently used Old Town Predator XL Kayak

Base model - with rudder - nothing added, looks like its been in the water maybe two or three times.

Urban camo color.

Seller bought more Kayak than he needed...and he says he didn't care for the whole kayak experience.

I haven't seen new ones discounted at all so that helps him with resale value so my guess is it is worth 60 to 70 percent of  retail since seems to be like new. Doesn't cost you anything to make an offer maybe he needs the money.

So...I'm not a Kayak guy either...If I float him an offer at $1000...can I get my money out of it in a month if I don't like it?

Personally, I would go to a demo days or rent a kayak from a shop fora  few trips instead of buying a 1k boat and hoping you like it.

I do think that 1k might be a little high because yo are going to see a lot of used boats on the market soon when the new boats are released and available because lots of people like to get the new boats and pro staff and the like have to get rid of their old ones.

• Like 1

flyfisher...great advice...but demo days don't exist out here in the boonies.

• Like 1

I paid just over  $1000 for mine brand new at the old town factory outlet. So less then that If you're in driving distance of old town maine 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UpTheHill said:

I paid just over  $1000 for mine brand new at the old town factory outlet. So less then that If you're in driving distance of old town maine 

Define "driving distance". :)

I can drive there...but it'd be two days, minimum, both ways.

Still mulling it over.

21 hours ago, Further North said:

Define "driving distance". :)

I can drive there...but it'd be two days, minimum, both ways.

Still mulling it over.

2 day drive would be pushing it I think.

It's 1 hour for me, unless you factor in that it's on the way to camp, then it's a 2 mile detour.

But there are other smaller stores in the area that sell for almost as cheap. Only the big stores like cabelas etc charge MSRP. Still worth calling around 

1 hour ago, JDkelly10 said:

Just bought one at Cabelas for 600 half off cause of a small hole in the chair pouch. Not really an issue scooped it up without second thought

Interesting...Cabela's only shows the Predator XL with the motor on-line...everyone else lists the XL at about $1800.  I think you did better than 1/2 off.