Sign in to follow this  
tcbass

Does my motor need a new waterpump? - with videos

It's a 2014 Evinrude E-Tec. I just had it inspected and they ran it through the computer and the guy didn't say anything about needing a new waterpump. I'm used to water just coming out of a small hole at velocity, but I guess with the E-Tec's larger hole, water just type of spills out, so I don't know if this is good or bad. These two videos are of it at idle and WOT.

It's due for it's 1st 3 year check this fall and I was thinking about having them put in a new waterpump if it needs it. 

Normally I winterize my own boat, but since this one has never had anything done to it, I planned on having a marine shop do it so that if anything goes wrong it wasn't me. Figured if I needed a waterpump, now would be the time to do it. Does it need a new waterpump from these videos or is this normal?

depends. Whats your water psi at both idle and wot?

30 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

depends. Whats your water psi at both idle and wot?

Don't know. I just had it tested and they gave me a sheet with a bunch of numbers on it. Would it be on their?

You should have a water PSI gauge on your dash. If you don't, I would highly suggest getting one. Aside from the tachometer it's one of the most important gauges you can have on your boat. You can get it for under 50 bucks and it's very easy to install

Your idle video looks normal and not worrisome at all. I can't really tell in the second video what it's doing it's really hard to see.

unless he tested the boat in the water or in a big tank hooked up to the computer, the print out won't tell you anything helpful for water pressure. You need back pressure to get an accurate reading

3 hours ago, iabass8 said:

You should have a water PSI gauge on your dash. If you don't, I would highly suggest getting one. Aside from the tachometer it's one of the most important gauges you can have on your boat. You can get it for under 50 bucks and it's very easy to install

Your idle video looks normal and not worrisome at all. I can't really tell in the second video what it's doing it's really hard to see.

unless he tested the boat in the water or in a big tank hooked up to the computer, the print out won't tell you anything helpful for water pressure. You need back pressure to get an accurate reading

You run the other end into the motor somehow?

Yes. The gauge will be mounted on your dash and there will be a rubber hose that attaches to the back of the gauge. You run the rubber hose back to your engine. If you're sitting at the consul and you turn around and look at the engine with the cowling off I believe there should be a 1/8 in brass plug on the left side of the engine near the cylinder. It might be a little ways down but it should be there.If you're behind the enginee it would be the top right . Use thread sealent /teflon tape when connecting it.  

if you want to get an lcd/digital water pressure gauge then it the set up and installation will be slightly different.

1 hour ago, iabass8 said:

Yes. The gauge will be mounted on your dash and there will be a rubber hose that attaches to the back of the gauge. You run the rubber hose back to your engine. If you're sitting at the consul and you turn around and look at the engine with the cowling off I believe there should be a 1/8 in brass plug on the left side of the engine near the cylinder. It might be a little ways down but it should be there.If you're behind the enginee it would be the top right . Use thread sealent /teflon tape when connecting it.  

if you want to get an lcd/digital water pressure gauge then it the set up and installation will be slightly different.

How is the latter digital pressure gauge install different?

It will use a pressure sensor so instead of running a water line directly to the gauge you run wires from gauge to sensor. Sensor can be mounted under engine cowl. Possibly directly to water outlet on head. Never installed one myself but its no different than a digital oil or fuel pressure gauge

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tcbass said:

How is the latter digital pressure gauge install different?

29 minutes ago, riverbasser said:

It will use a pressure sensor so instead of running a water line directly to the gauge you run wires from gauge to sensor. Sensor can be mounted under engine cowl. Possibly directly to water outlet on head. Never installed one myself but its no different than a digital oil or fuel pressure gauge

He nailed it.

Every OB with a over heating alarm should have a water pressure gauge as standard equipment, along with operating hours gauge. 10-15 psi is the normal water pump pressure for most larger size engines. Keep in mind the pee hole pressure drops when the thermostat opens flowing water through the power head.

Tom

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:02 AM, WRB said:

Every OB with a over heating alarm should have a water pressure gauge as standard equipment, along with operating hours gauge. 10-15 psi is the normal water pump pressure for most larger size engines. Keep in mind the pee hole pressure drops when the thermostat opens flowing water through the power head.

Tom

You mean when you are going faster or just when water starts coming out?

6 hours ago, tcbass said:

You mean when you are going faster or just when water starts coming out?

It will go off at any speed if it is overheating

7 hours ago, iabass8 said:

It will go off at any speed if it is overheating

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I meant this:

Keep in mind the pee hole pressure drops when the thermostat opens flowing water through the power head.

So, when you are going WOT vs. idle, the pressure will drop more because you are making the engine go faster?

9 minutes ago, tcbass said:

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I meant this:

So, when you are going WOT vs. idle, the pressure will drop more because you are making the engine go faster?

Your issue isnt whether your tstats are sticking open or closed. Your issue is you do not know how much water pressure you have at WOT.  Get a water pressure gauge. If your engine is not cooling the block enough at high-speed you're going to overheat the engine and blow the powerhead. Could be a bad impeller too.

11 hours ago, iabass8 said:

Your issue isnt whether your tstats are sticking open or closed. Your issue is you do not know how much water pressure you have at WOT.  Get a water pressure gauge. If your engine is not cooling the block enough at high-speed you're going to overheat the engine and blow the powerhead. Could be a bad impeller too.

To add this gauge do I need to cut a hole in my dash?

4 hours ago, tcbass said:

To add this gauge do I need to cut a hole in my dash?

Depends.  If you have a gauge that you are not using you can remove that and put the water pressure gauge in its spot. You can really put it anywhere you want. 

I have an E-tec 115hp that I bought new 5yrs ago,  Runs the same way on mine, asked the tech about it and he said it's normal on them.  i've never had an issue and it runs strong.

Okay, ran into this issue with a brand new Merc. Verado.  Had water dumping out the exhaust on one motor and not on the other.  Our lodge mechanic called Merc and their suggestion and opinion was I had something stuck in the pickup.  Their solution, put the motor in reverse and gun it a few times to dislodge whatever was stuck in the pickup.  Yeah sounds really high tech, but it worked and the water stopped dumping out the exhaust once I cleared the port.  Might try that and see what it does.  Also learned if your engines pee-hole stops flowing, shut it down, and take a can of WD-40 and shoot a few shots up the hole. Problem solved.  Easy fixes that require ZERO work but aren't always known about.